Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.53.185
ChrisHoot

How does Google know my true country?

I use AirVPN's servers in the Netherlands to access the Internet. Starting today, Google nevertheless knows that I'm actually in Germany - Youtube shows the infamous "GEMA warning" for songs for which they have no German rights, and when I open https://www.google.com/maps/ , it appears in German language and with Germany in the middle.

ipleak.net doesn't show any leakage, I have deleted all cookies, I've set intl.accept_languages to en-us,en to avoid leaking my language and I've also turned off the geo.enabled setting. So, how can Google still know that i'm Germany?

It's strange and scary, help much appreciated.

Hello!

That's googles job, sadly. Are you logged in to any google accounts while searching? Are you also using Airs DNS servers? (Many an internet tips will refer you to googles DNS servers to speed things up).

Are you using google chrome or Firefox? Plugged webRTC? (Or used network lock). In addition, do you make any attempts to block browser-based tracking, by using plugins like Ublock Origin? It's also possible to cross-contaminate, if for instance you're logged into your account, but then afterwards use AirVPN. Then they will know which IP also belongs to you; in that regard you can try change to still other servers .

Sent to you from me with datalove

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

That's googles job, sadly. Are you logged in to any google accounts while searching? Are you also using Airs DNS servers? (Many an internet tips will refer you to googles DNS servers to speed things up).

Are you using google chrome or Firefox? Plugged webRTC? (Or used network lock). In addition, do you make any attempts to block browser-based tracking, by using plugins like Ublock Origin? It's also possible to cross-contaminate, if for instance you're logged into your account, but then afterwards use AirVPN. Then they will know which IP also belongs to you; in that regard you can try change to still other servers .

.... oooooor it's just one of the common geolocation errors. In this case, just try another server.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Of course it could be many things. But I don't know how much the OP follows these things, so it's worth talking about several possible causes .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

When I run https://www.doileak.com on Firefox and Chrome, using the AirVPN server Hadar in Hong Kong, all looks okay, except

Timezone Difference:

The time zone of your browser is Australia/Sydney while your request IP location timezone is Asia/Hong_Kong.
I am mystified because on Windows 7, the Microsoft Control Panel labels my timezone as "Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney".
Checking about:config in Firefox does not contain it, neither do the User Preferences/Settings in Chrome or Firefox.
Fired up Firefox on Linux Mint on Virtual Box on Windows 7 in case the setting from earlier Mozilla versions or an installation registry setting.
Same result !?!  :>(
Is this something from a browser javascript api ? or a http header  ? Set from where ?
I need to get up early this morning, so maybe some js expert may popup with the answer. Yawn.

The problem disappeared just as quickly as it had come -- Youtube's GEMA warning is gone and Google Maps opens showing the USA instead of Germany (I guess they know about AirVPN's IPs and so don't place me in the Netherlands).

Still disconcerting as I don't know what was different yesterday -- I wasn't logged in anywhere and had deleted all cookies and other stuff; webRTC and geolocation are disabled. https://www.doileak.com doesn't show anything evidently wrong either.

Strange thing, I'll keep watching. Thanks all for your suggestions.

A "safer" option may be to have a dedicated VPN running in VirtualBox/VMWare and use it for any torrenting or other sensitive activities. Simply set it up, save a snapshot then revert to that "clean" snapshot after you've finished. Just make sure to never use your true details/log-ins/etc. on the VM.

If you're happy using VirtualBox and Ubuntu (which is inherently sooo much "safer" than Windows or MacOS for these purposes) it won't cost you a penny. Google (search) is your friend when it comes to learning how-to...