Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.178.157
Soupcan Sam Hootkins

Need Cloud/Online Storage Recommendations

Considering this community is concerned about security and good practices and policies of business, I wanted to ask you all if there was an online storage business that you would consider to have a good reputation, policy, security, and would ultimately recommend?

Thanks, guys

What is your purpose? Business? Personal? And why does it need to be online? Would an external hard drive not be a good option for you for some reason?

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

A self-hosted OwnCloud instance on a Raspberry Pi will do. Attach an external hard drive and you will have gigabytes of storage.

Prior to that I used Wuala, a Swiss-based cloud storage provider run by LaCie/Seagate. It's been offlined, though. I was also following the advice of an AirVPN user who pointed me at SpiderOak. Didn't like their bragging about how "Zero-Knowledge" they are, besides, it's an US provider.

We've had a discussion about cloud storage providers in the past, feel free to read your way through it.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

What is your purpose? Business? Personal? And why does it need to be online? Would an external hard drive not be a good option for you for some reason?

It's for personal use. No reason to not really use an external, besides the idea of wanting my files available across multiple devices. Sometimes I feel like I'll find myself at my school without my laptop and in need to access my personal files. In this instance, it would be good to be able to reach them online. Still trying to figure out how I want to store my files and back them up. Currently I use OneDrive, but trying to think of better solutions. 

A self-hosted OwnCloud instance on a Raspberry Pi will do. Attach an external hard drive and you will have gigabytes of storage.

Prior to that I used Wuala, a Swiss-based cloud storage provider run by LaCie/Seagate. It's been offlined, though. I was also following the advice of an AirVPN user who pointed me at SpiderOak. Didn't like their bragging about how "Zero-Knowledge" they are, besides, it's an US provider.

We've had a discussion about cloud storage providers in the past, feel free to read your way through it.

I heard about SpiderOak, among others, like Wuala. Wanted to see if there were any others. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. 

https://www.securesafe.com/en/ someone recommended this one to me a year ago or so, unfortunately requires flash to login

Thanks for posting this. Other than the flash issue the app works well and their service has a number of features including Data Inheritance that look interesting.

For stuff I want access to in multiple locations, I would just carry around an USB flash drive. If you have so much that a flash drive is not an option, I suggest a backpack and a mobile hard drive.

Online services are often terrible at best. There are exceptions, but in all cases you are trusting others to hold and provide your data, and every system you use to not steal your login information. You can always setup a mobile drive and back it up regularly, so even if you get ransomwared at one point, you will retain your data.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Very happy with tresorit www.tresorit.com Swiss based zero knowledge cloud storage. Desktop and iOS apps have been constantly updated at a very regular pace.

Other option, you can use cryptomator.org to encrypt files on with Dropbox, box, onedrive etc...

Very happy with tresorit www.tresorit.com Swiss based zero knowledge cloud storage. Desktop and iOS apps have been constantly updated at a very regular pace.

Wuala too provided a guide on how to migrate data to Tresorit before it went offline. No one really knew why it was Tresorit, first impression and media reports/reviews were okay, though.

Other option, you can use cryptomator.org to encrypt files on with Dropbox, box, onedrive etc...

Tresorit doesn't seem to offer a pricing for 1 user only and it says for the 2-9 user pack that it's 20€ a user which even if you only have one it'd be 40€ in that 20€ wasted

Tresorit doesn't seem to offer a pricing for 1 user only and it says for the 2-9 user pack that it's 20€ a user which even if you only have one it'd be 40€ in that 20€ wasted

​They have: https://tresorit.com/pricing/solo

​However they are shockingly expensive compared to others.

I have used for a long, long time SpiderOak One for my off site backups. They seems to be little bit more affordable (though expensive still). I Was happy with service they provided, definitely felt safe, even though they are US based. They have this feeling of safety, You see this in details (for example they discourage to log to their online service, because for this short period of time, when You enter password they are not zero-knowledge). However decided to cancel because they are so much expensive than the rest.

For now I decided to use some cheap solution (Microsoft OneDrive) and encrypted backups (Duplicati and Cryptomator). This has some advantage though: I'm sure that this is actually zero knowledge because all software I use now is open sourced. Also I trust AES-256 is virtually unbreakable now in practice, so it really doesn't matter that much where You store Your encrypted blobs of data. Still looking for some encrypted, safe, professional cloud storage though, from time to time. Hope that protonmail folks would provide some cloud storage solution soon. They said they are working on it.

Hope that protonmail folks would provide some cloud storage solution soon. They said they are working on it.​

How is ProtonMail? I've also been needing to look into new secure e-mail services. 

Hope that protonmail folks would provide some cloud storage solution soon. They said they are working on it.​

How is ProtonMail? I've also been needing to look into new secure e-mail services. 

Email is here.

I'd say ProtonMail is excellent. It's very nice that they make it so easy to get access to more secure email.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I'd say ProtonMail is excellent. It's very nice that they make it so easy to get access to more secure email.

Couldn't agree more. I migrated all my mail to ProtonMail some time ago and I'm happy and never looked back. That's my primary e-mail right now (I also use, and support tutanota.com). They have excellent web interface, iOS and android apps. And they're adding new features all the time. Much recommended.

Does it matter what hosting site you use if you encrypt the files? I've in the past used TrueCrypt to create a container with a password and keyfile, then zipped that up in a 7zip file with it's password and AES encryption as well.

If the stuff isn't personal, I'd recommend that route, honestly. If it IS personal, I'd recommend doing what I did above, but putting it on an external hard-drive or disc (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, UBlu-ray, HD-DVD ... Laserdisc)

"The problem is that when people hear the term "big brother", they immediately think it's scary or bad, but I don't. I think, wow, I love my big brother." ~ Michael Scott

Does it matter what hosting site you use if you encrypt the files? I've in the past used TrueCrypt to create a container with a password and keyfile, then zipped that up in a 7zip file with it's password and AES encryption as well.

If the stuff isn't personal, I'd recommend that route, honestly. If it IS personal, I'd recommend doing what I did above, but putting it on an external hard-drive or disc (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, UBlu-ray, HD-DVD ... Laserdisc)

Any external hd you guys prefer? 

For cloudstorage/backup, i've heard good things about crashplan, 

For reliability, Western Digital Black drives are the only way to go. Contrary to what you may read, WD bought up Seagate and has no actual competition. So buy WD drives only. And do not skimp on the premium for the Black drives. They outlast the Greens, the Blues, and the Reds by years if not decades.

And if you want a SSD, buy the Intel drives. Again these have the highest reliability by far.

For USB flash drives, it is almost impossible to even tell a good one from a bad one. Rarely you can find a particular type with all the details available, like what type of controller it has. That alone can make or break the drive. Do not be in a hurry. Do your research.

Optical media... Why bother. May as well be talking floppy discs these days. The Burner is more important by far than the media you burn. And the price per byte is so high that I abandoned this years ago. And even if you have a perfect burn on the best media ever made, the disc will eventually fail due to the chemical dye inside the layers.