Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.226.105
nicecock

Looking to setup AirVPN on my Tomato Shibby Router (rt-n66u/r7000)

So I love AirVPN, I use the portable app that runs on my machine, and I get great speeds, usually 60 Mbps when connected.  However I would love to run it on my router so that way I could possibly run another VPN on top of it for extra security, but it's more so for the peace of mind knowing that my router is 100% securing my data at all times. 

I have 2 different routers, and I was going to try to have my main dedicated router broadcasting my normal signal, and then my Asus Rt-n66u running a VPN at all times.  After running through the setup guides and everything I was able to get a successful connection however the speeds were terrible, maxing out at around 7 Mbps.  I need desperate help as my other router (r7000) has a similar problem with speeds only maxing out at about 10 Mbps.  This isn't doable, and I love getting decent speeds but I can't work with something this slow.

Has anyone else here had any similar issues with installation to a router?  I was also looking at the Ubiquiti Edgerouter as a higher performing router, I just want to be sure I've expended all my resources before I buy another router that may be more powerful.

I also wouldn't mind running pfsense, on a slightly more expensive Mini-PC, and then trying to maxout what I can of my AirVPN connection installed directly through OpenVPN on a pfsense box.

I'm open to anything, and if anyone can help me with this solution I would gladly tip them very handsomely with some BTC.

I have spent WAY too many hours trying to think of different solutions, so if someone can point me in the right direction to either utilizing my existing hardware, or getting a more optimal setup, I am all ears! 

Hello !

OpenVPN exacts a high toll on router CPUs, so perhaps you should consider a dedicated box like the Zbox Nano, with pfSense.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello !

OpenVPN exacts a high toll on router CPUs, so perhaps you should consider a dedicated box like the Zbox Nano, with pfSense.

That's what I've been hearing.  I will Google the Zbox Nano, and read more about it. 

Do you use a similar setup? 

I just use DD-WRT, but I'm going to switch to a Zbox like solution eventually.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Have you tried Xvortex firmware on R7000?

It is a ported version of merlin's firmware.

I have been using it from last 1 year (though not running VPN client on it) and is working fine.

You can find more details at their thread: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108

Yeah let me check this out as well.  I was more so looking for good OpenVPN speeds, but I will read over to see if it would be something I would consider. Thanks!

I just use DD-WRT, but I'm going to switch to a Zbox like solution eventually.

Yeah I actually saw a few fairly priced ones on Amazon, I might pull the trigger as the response seems to be well for a dedicated VPN box.

Considering it's such a quality VPN, one might as well get serious about ones own hardware setup as well lol.