Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.190.144
kiwi

Openvpn through wireless ethernet bridge

hi everybody,

maybe someone can help me.

my setup:

host - 1. floor: fritzbox 7490 connected to a cable modem, ip 192.168.1.2

client - 2. floor: asus rtn-66u, tomatousb v137 AIO, openvpn, ip 192.168.1.1, pc and various other devices (nas, tv, receiver) attached via lan - ipad, mac, smartphones via wifi

both are connected via 5ghz wireless ethernet bridge. i get around 90 000 kbits/s down and 5 000 kbits/s up, when the vpn client is not active.

with active vpn client the upload speed remains the same, but the download speed is only around 8 000 kbits/s.

i know it would be better to have the openvpn router as host, but my phone is connected to the cable modem via fritzbox. so it should stay in the 1. floor.

Anything i can do to improve the download speed? i've been googling for two days now an didn't find a solution.

if you need further information, let me know ...

thx

OpenVPN + router = not good.

If OpenVPN would run on the host, it would effectively lower your overall internet speed.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

hi giganerd,

so what would you change/improve in my setup?

by the way: eddie on my pc on the 2. floor runs almost with max. speed ( ~ 80 kbits)

greets

There was a thread awhile ago that some member reported around 30Mbit on an Asus router with OpenVPN on it.

I am not sure about the model or that specific number, so searching the board for terms like "Asus" may bring it.

In any case no consumer router can do something around 90Mbit, like you stated above. You can achieve those

speeds with Eddie, if you adjust the buffer sizes in the advanced section (try 256KB and above).

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

There was a thread awhile ago that some member reported around 30Mbit on an Asus router with OpenVPN on it.

I am not sure about the model or that specific number, so searching the board for terms like "Asus" may bring it.

In any case no consumer router can do something around 90Mbit, like you stated above. You can achieve those

speeds with Eddie, if you adjust the buffer sizes in the advanced section (try 256KB and above).

Is it the case that if you have a 100/100Mbit connection for instance, you should or could use a 512kb buffer? I know the Staff recommended 256 as well, but I don't quite understand why.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

This highly depends on your traffic and latency expectations.

Larger buffers are not always the best solution, it depends on your use case.

A large queue size will wait until it is full, and only then send it. This will mean

that smaller packets will wait in the queue until it gets full, which I expect cause

broken low latency, small packet applications (VoIP, gaming) etc.

Also, not all members have ethernet all the way from their end to the server.

Consider 3G/LTE links, and other forms of modern connections, 512KB can't

be a reasonable default for all - for many reasons.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thank you @ll for replying!

anybody here who put a freetz image on fritzbox 7490?

running the openvpn client on the fb would be a way to solve my problems ...

best wishes

best wishes

You mean like this?

Also referenced in my guide, in the how-to section.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

i'm not sure i want to do this, LZ1, because my wife would kill me if i'd brick the box (telephone )) ).

AirVPN does not currently provide bodyguard services, but perhaps this can be an area we can expand into, in the future, lol. The first VPN to not only guarantee high levels of encryption, but also the physical security of the endpoints; NOICE!

i always knew something is missing here!!!

by the way: i solved my problem by routing the vpn traffic through my nas ( synology ds 214 with openvpn client installed) which gives me about 20 000 kbits.

thanks again and all the best

kiwi

edit: 25 000 kbits with alphecca right now ...

best wishes

OpenVPN wouldn't work properly here, anyway. iptables are necessary, but they are buggy because Fritz!Box's own iptables implementation (AVMPA) conflicts with it.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Linksys wrt 1900acs maybe