Not connected, Your IP: 18.224.59.231
hrezaei

(win) exclude programs from VPN connection

Hello there

Is there a way for me to exclude some certain programs from AirVPN, so that when i turn it on, They wouldn't get tunneled through it, and would use my own IP and internet?

I want to exclude Skype and Steam from airvpn also some more apps that I don't recall right now.

Are there any plans to bring this feature to the client? so we could choose which programs would use the VPN and which ones not?

This is very important to me, some of my programs just don't work well with  airvpn and I want them to use my normal connection.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

the AirVPN client is supposed to be able to do policy routing based on destination IP address.  But, not based on application.  Look in advanced settings. 

I have never liked using a system (OS) being both closed (VPN) and open on the same Win registry.  An experienced suggestion would be to use a virtual machine with one profile and the other would be bare metal.  In reality I don't even mix such an application on the same partition of a drive space - ever.  The more compartmentalized you are the better.  Physical isolation is your friend.  If you don't see that today, you will someday for sure!

There is a way to achieve VPN for browsing only, even on Windows.

You will need to use VPN over SSH, then point the browser to use the SOCKS5 port of the SSH

tunnel, in that way the browser will be using the VPN tunnel while the rest of the OS will use the

default gateway.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

There is a way to achieve VPN for browsing only, even on Windows.

You will need to use VPN over SSH, then point the browser to use the SOCKS5 port of the SSH

tunnel, in that way the browser will be using the VPN tunnel while the rest of the OS will use the

default gateway.

Is this correct?   Everything will be routed through the VPN tunnel by default.  So, you'd have to route everything outside the VPN tunnel if you indeed wanted VPN only for browsing.  And, if you pointed the browser to the SOCKS5 port it wouldn't be going through the VPN tunnel but through the SSH tunnel. 

Thank you guys for your replies. I think at this point  It's impossible for me to do this. I use airvpn to bypass censorship on browser,  access twitter with my twitter client, use spotify and some other software as well.

I'm just an avrage user TBH. I think I could use Virtual machines for this but It'll be a lot of work for me.

Recently Skype is giving me issues with VPN and it drops my calls and decreases quality. I don't blame AirVPN though Skype's a monster.

This is possible whereever you can make a program use a specific interface, while making sure you don't route

the entire OS via that specific adapter.

On Windows, there is an utility called  ForceBindIP, which can be used in order to force a specific process use

a specific network adapter. (The rest, making a VPN adapter without a default OS route, is up to you)

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/bind-windows-application-to-specific-network-adapter-with-forcebindip/

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

This could be possible by using a Virtual Machine. Inside the VM the connection will not pass via the VPN.

Regards

This is possible whereever you can make a program use a specific interface, while making sure you don't route

the entire OS via that specific adapter.

On Windows, there is an utility called ForceBindIP, which can be used in order to force a specific process use

a specific network adapter. (The rest, making a VPN adapter without a default OS route, is up to you)

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/bind-windows-application-to-specific-network-adapter-with-forcebindip/

There is some discussion of ForceBindIP that may be informative spread over several posts starting here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/?p=35314

There the idea is to use the VPN only for specific programs.

The actual site for ForceBindIP is here:

https://r1ch.net/projects/forcebindip

ForceBindIP has limitations that can sometimes matter.

1) If the program calls some other program, that called program is not forced to use the specified IP interface.

2) The program that injects the DLL is a GUI mode program This is sometimes a problem. There are console mode programs that can be used to inject the DLL, for example:

https://code.google.com/archive/p/injector/

3) ForceBindIP does not redirect DNS queries to a different DNS server.