Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.13.201
VpnTurtle

Slow VPN speed on my DD-WRT router

Hello,

first of all, this is not a problem with AirVPN servers, I get full speed while connected directly from Eddie client.

I've a Linksys e1200v2 router flashed with the latest dd-wrt build, and I've configured it with my AirVPN account. The problem is that the connection is very slow (max 500KBps, while I get 3MBps without VPN).

I've already tried to reset the router, change the port and protocol, etc.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Thank you.

Oh no 

Well, it is time to buy a new router then... Can you suggest me a good router with full DD-WRT openVPN support, please? Thank you.

Netgear R7000 is more expensive than Linksys WRT1200AC (180€ vs 130€), do you think that Linksys WRT1200AC isn't enought? Thanks for your tips!!

I understand thank you. Last question: can you please tell me what is the max speed I can get with Netgear and with Linksys respectively? 

I've always been an avid fan of Asus routers but had been using opnsense on a little itx AMD board for a couple years.  After seeing the performance of the RT-AC88U I decided a sub 50 watt unit will all the bells and whistles was worth the $300.  Interestingly also, I get a lot better throughput with openvpn on the router than I did with it on my laptop.  I did have to use the merlin firmware however.  The stock firmware had vpn connectivity issues.

I can recommend Asus routers with Merlin firmware for sure.  You'll get advanced options such as policy based routing.  But, you'll have to spend some money to get one with a powerful CPU.

If you still prefer using DD-WRT, Netgear R7000 got good OpenVPN performance feedbacks.

I can recommend Asus routers with Merlin firmware for sure.  You'll get advanced options such as policy based routing.  But, you'll have to spend some money to get one with a powerful CPU.

Which router specifically would you recommend for OpenVPN with the router doing the tunneling so that it goes on all devices? preferably below 300$ as I'm not made of money but keep getting more paranoid by the minute with the tunneling done on the computer where things could bypass the OpenVPN daemon where as if done on router there is no way it can bypass it as the computer connects to the router and has no choice but to use the tunnel it provides.

You can build a decent pfSense router with that budget.

isn't pfSense router only? not router and modem? I got a netgear router which is modem as well, as far as I know it's standard here the netgear genie however does not have the openVPN setting which is what annoys me a lot so I wanna look into getting something else that does have it.

I don't know of a router modem combo by Asus, since you asked which router specifically.

hmm the problem is, if I gotta get a modem and router both seperately that limits budget for each device.

You can still use your old modem as modem only, while the routing/VPN will be done on another high end device.

If the R7000 gets 50Mbit or so, the R7800 should get 80Mbit or 100Mbit if lucky through OpenVPN hopefully since it has a 1.7GHz dual core instead of just 1GHz.

I have a Netgear R7800 and I'm quite satisfied with it. My ISP offers up to 100 Mbps but decided to take to 50 Mbps option instead. I get 53 Mbps on my router.