Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.62.119
revelator1969

AirVPN Is Breaking My Internet - Win 10 protocols missing

I have a windows 10 laptop that i bought a week ago, im just getting used to everything. I have been using 2 smartphones at different times for tethering, wireless and usb tethering, this worked fine for days. To cut a long story short neither phone ended up working on usb or wireless tethering. Even after removing Airvpn, i had the same problem. I system restored to 5 ago and everything was fine again, then i created  a restore point as i installed each program, it turns out Airvpn is messing things up, the same happened again, i restored to before Airvpn was installed and voila things are fine again. When the windows diagnosis was run it was reporting missing protocols which could not be fixed.

So my laptop is fine at the moment, how do i install and configure Airvpn without mucking up my internet settings?

Just take a look at your Network Lock settings. This is a well documented and supported feature, designed to keep you protected in case

your internet and VPN connection cuts out, so no traffic will leave your machine un-encrypted.

When you turn the network lock off, everything should be back to normal, and you can use all your other tethering and sharing settings

with and without being connected to the VPN.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Just take a look at your Network Lock settings. This is a well documented and supported feature, designed to keep you protected in case

your internet and VPN connection cuts out, so no traffic will leave your machine un-encrypted.

When you turn the network lock off, everything should be back to normal, and you can use all your other tethering and sharing settings

with and without being connected to the VPN.

Hi many thanks for the reply, this kind of stuff is baffling to me, i read a bit about the network lock, i dont see how this will fix my problem.

Please post your logs if this doesn't. The issue you described fits this symptom with very high probability.

There are no other components in the client that actually change any other network settings.

Ok thanks for the information, i have activated the network lock and ill see how it performs over the coming days, i created a restore point too as a precaution. Many thanks. I will let you now how it goes

When the windows diagnosis was run it was reporting missing protocols which could not be fixed.

Such Windows messages are ambiguous and sometimes over-agonizing, are you sure that it was not just a DNS problem? Windows diagnostic tool will shoot alarming error messages even when the only problem is that the system can't resolve names. And sometimes it will suggest to revert to some previous system wide restore point just because of a simple problem in network interface DNS settings that could have been solved in a matter of seconds.

Have a look here and make sure to always shut down the Air software properly (don't kill it without grace, or it will not be able to restore your system settings until the next run):

https://airvpn.org/topic/14829-can-only-connect-to-the-internet-browser-through-airvpn/?do=findComment&comment=30509

Kind regards

Many thanks for the information, changing the dns settings for my wireless adapter has worked. Now i can get the internet without having to start Airvpn every time. I dont use windows firewall so there is nothing to reset there.

Do you have any tips for keeping my internet use all uk based, even when i connect to uk servers, i get adverts, goole searches and some info in foreign language as its assuming im in another country.

Where do you get redirected while visiting google.com?

On most UK servers, this should be google.co.uk, unless you connected to other servers and Google set their tracking cookie,

like they always do, based on another country.

This can be partially solved by deleting your browser cookies and visiting https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en .

This will set you a new PREF cookie, with the co.uk as preferred location.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

its mostly when using google maps or goolge searching, because i may have connected to a Netherlands server, then changed to a UK one, it was giving non English results even after deleting cookies i had problems. I used a website Airbnb.co.uk, its currency was not in UK pounds. I guess ill need to clear out my cookies and use that google link to reset my location.

What is going on, the DNS setting i changed have gone, today i could not connect to my phones internet via wireless like i could last night, i checked the DNS settings and the 2 addresses i added have gone. 

When i first fire up my browser, google keeps showing me a catchpha thing, is there any way to avoid this, im connected to a uk server. Also i cant login to pof.com, this happens if it thinks im not in the uk. I have only used a uk server since yesterday.