Not connected, Your IP: 13.58.39.23
Sign in to follow this  

ANSWERED any other providers with dedicated linux client?

i really like airvpn, but for the last few days the client has not been working. sad to say i wont be renewing my subscription. so if anyone can recommend another (non-US/UK) provider that has a dedicated linux client, that would be much appreciated.

This would be better to solve the issue rather than looking for alternatives.

As far as I am aware, other VPN providers will tell you to use NetworkManager's OpenVPN, or another closed source app you don't know

what it will do and how it will behave on your system, if it will work at all.

You also wanted non US/UK provider, so this narrows down this list to almost no viable good options - - unfortunately. I would love seeing providers

open sourcing clients and policies.

If you browse the troubleshooting section, there are almost no "unresolved" issues there or issues that were left unrelplied withing short time.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I checked your post about the problem and all you said is that it failed to authenticate but without logs we can't troubleshoot on why it would do it, you assume that we know your exact system settings and what changes you have done to it since you installed the operating system and you never posted the logs after they were requested to help you fix the problem. Either way I don't know of any VPN providers with their own Linux client.

i really like airvpn, but for the last few days the client has not been working. sad to say i wont be renewing my subscription. so if anyone can recommend another (non-US/UK) provider that has a dedicated linux client, that would be much appreciated.

Is there some reason why you don't want to just use the OpenVPN client that is provided by the OpenVPN project itself? I have never heard of a Linux distribution that does not have it. It has no GUI of course. Is that the issue? In case this is something you would consider, then you may find this helpful:

https://airvpn.org/topic/16800-linux-how-to-start-openvpn-on-boot-and-auto-log-on/?p=37685

The approach there avoids having to fiddle with the service start stuff that comes with your Linux distro, which is often a pain.

EdensSpire, I had trouble copying the logs from eddie so was not able to do that. However, I have now figured it out and posted them on the other thread. I did contact help, but they could not provide any solution. I was told to use terminal for now and wait till the new client is released.

NaDre, I am very comfortable with using openvpn over terminal. However, using this method I still have a DNS leak as confirmed on dnsleaktest.com. Using eddie everything works perfectly, there are no leaks anywhere. I did contact support regarding the leak, but I was told linux does not have dns leaks.

EdensSpire, I had trouble copying the logs from eddie so was not able to do that. However, I have now figured it out and posted them on the other thread. I did contact help, but they could not provide any solution. I was told to use terminal for now and wait till the new client is released.

You can quickly copy the logs to the clipboard by clicking (from Eddie main window) "Logs" > "Copy to clipboard".

Alternatively enable logging to file in "AirVPN" > "Preferences" > "Advanced" > "Logging" and then access the log file, for example with any text viewer or editor.

Kind regards

NaDre, I am very comfortable with using openvpn over terminal. However, using this method I still have a DNS leak as confirmed on dnsleaktest.com. Using eddie everything works perfectly, there are no leaks anywhere. I did contact support regarding the leak, but I was told linux does not have dns leaks.

You need to tell Linux to use the AirVPN DNS server. Or set things up to make the change whenever the OpenVPN connection is started or stopped. See:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9608-how-to-accept-dns-push-on-linux-systems-with-resolvconf/

In the past, staff have called this a "misconfiguration" (or something like that), rather than a "leak".

The difference between Linux and Windows is that for Linux you do it once in one place. For Windows you have to do it for each interface. Arguably an absurd feature, responsible for the labeling of Windows as suffering from DNS leaks.

You need to tell Linux to use the AirVPN DNS server. Or set things up to make the change whenever the OpenVPN connection is started or stopped. See:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9608-how-to-accept-dns-push-on-linux-systems-with-resolvconf/

In the past, staff have called this a "misconfiguration" (or something like that), rather than a "leak".

The difference between Linux and Windows is that for Linux you do it once in one place. For Windows you have to do it for each interface. Arguably an absurd feature, responsible for the labeling of Windows as suffering from DNS leaks.

Exactly, it is factually and definitely not a leak, under any possible point of view. Global DNS stands so even if OpenVPN client doesn't accept (in GNU/Linux) OpenVPN server DNS push, your DNS queries to DNS servers outside the local network will be "tunneled" in any case.

This is a really remarkable difference between a system where global DNS is implemented and a system where global DNS is not implemented and default gateway for each interface is considered in DNS queries. Windows makes both things, that's why in Windows so called "DNS leaks" are real, physical leaks (packets not encrypted and routed via the "wrong" gateway).

There is probably a way to configure a GNU/Linux system to emulate Windows DNS implementation, for didactic or exotic purposes, and force DNS queries go outside the tunnel regardless of the routing table, but this is an intentional "corruption" so it is not taken into consideration.

Kind regards

thank you AN566, I will give that a try