Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.107.96
Sign in to follow this  
Angus.Black

Speed problems during Trial period

I am on the 3 day trial.  My best VPN speed is about 1/3 my ISP speed.

My ISP is Bell Aliant on the east coast of Canada.

Normal ISP speeds are >190 Mbps download and >50 Mbps upload.

With VPN I am getting ~60 Mbps download and ~50 Mbps upload.

This morning it's >70 Mbps download and <10 Mbps upload.

These numbers are from Speedtest.net.  

The numbers from AirVPN's own speed test are <20 Mbps each way.  This morning it's about 18 Mbps download and won't even finish the upload test.

I let the client choose the best server which is always a Toronto server, usually Rana.  I have also experimented with other servers in the US, Netherlands and Germany, all were slower.

I have tried all protocols, the best being UDP using port 2018.  SSH and SSL are very slow.

I have also tried the OpenVPN client.

I have been with PIA for the past year.  The speeds from PIA were about 60 Mbps down and 20 up.  This was with using the OpenVPN client.  With their own client it was real bad.

I can live with 70/50 Mbps but not <10 Mbps upload.

On a positive note, I really like AirVPN.  The custom OpenVPN configs, speed tests, port forwarding and numerous other options are great.

I'm not sure that AirVPN support actually use this forum, someone please let me know.

Thanks

Hello,

it looks like you're already getting the performance you want, as speedtest.net shows. Welcome aboard! Use our speed test only with the purpose to compare the ratio between in tunnel and out of tunnel performance, not for absolute values. For those, no speed test is reliable, test in real world usage.

Kind regards

I am on the 3 day trial.  My best VPN speed is about 1/3 my ISP speed.

My ISP is Bell Aliant on the east coast of Canada.

Normal ISP speeds are >190 Mbps download and >50 Mbps upload.

With VPN I am getting ~60 Mbps download and ~50 Mbps upload.

This morning it's >70 Mbps download and <10 Mbps upload.

These numbers are from Speedtest.net.  

The numbers from AirVPN's own speed test are <20 Mbps each way.  This morning it's about 18 Mbps download and won't even finish the upload test.

I let the client choose the best server which is always a Toronto server, usually Rana.  I have also experimented with other servers in the US, Netherlands and Germany, all were slower.

I have tried all protocols, the best being UDP using port 2018.  SSH and SSL are very slow.

I have also tried the OpenVPN client.

I have been with PIA for the past year.  The speeds from PIA were about 60 Mbps down and 20 up.  This was with using the OpenVPN client.  With their own client it was real bad.

I can live with 70/50 Mbps but not <10 Mbps upload.

On a positive note, I really like AirVPN.  The custom OpenVPN configs, speed tests, port forwarding and numerous other options are great.

I'm not sure that AirVPN support actually use this forum, someone please let me know.

Thanks

Protocols may not be all, try changing buffer size that fixed some speed issues for me, also since the tunnel is encrypted you might not get the same speed as your ISP since the files transfered between you and the airVPN server is technically bigger so it takes longer and the speedtest register that.

Hello,

it looks like you're already getting the performance you want, as speedtest.net shows. Welcome aboard! Use our speed test only with the purpose to compare the ratio between in tunnel and out of tunnel performance, not for absolute values. For those, no speed test is reliable, test in real world usage.

Kind regards

Actually no I'm not getting the performance I want.

I got enough speed for the first couple of hours of use, 70/50 but even that is only about 1/2 of what I should be getting.

Today (day 2) upload speeds are as low as 3 Mbps with the best being 45 Mbps. Download speed has dropped to <40 Mbps.

It's very inconsistant.

Combat; I have increased buffer sizes and rolled the TAP driver back to version 9.0.0.9.  I am running the VPN on Windows 7.

I understand the overhead of using a VPN.  I do expect a 20% hit in download/upload speed and wouldn't be questioning it if that were the case.  I am getting a 60%-80% hit.

As I said before, I was getting similar results from PIA but the connection seemed to be more consistant.  Consistantly slow isn't ideal either.

I don't expect a magic answer. I am fairly sure it's not a VPN provider issue as both PIA and AirVPN are highly rated.

I suspect my ISP is throttling VPN traffic but it's difficult to prove.  The Glasnost Test says "No".

It would be great to hear from other Aliant / AirVPN customers.  I assume I'm not the only one.

I woud suggest you to test upload speeds using (OpenVPN over) SSL or SSH protocol in order to know if your traffic is being throttled. It "should" deliver better stability. However, using these protocols implies a performance hit that OpenVPN UDP hasn't

I seem to be getting more consistent speeds when using the OpenVPN client rather than the AirVPN client.

Still about slower than it should be at 70/50.

One of the reasons the tests were giving slow results is that speedtest.net was picking a location off of the east coast of Africa for my connection in Toronto.  Based on the IP I assume.