Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.40.207
Vocalite

uTorrent + AirVPN -- Slow and inconsistent DL speed but fast and consistent upload speed?

After following this guide to configure air and openVPN to work with utorrent, I'm getting very strange connection speeds. I left a file downloading while I was at work, hoping that it would download when I got back. I was sad to see that it didn't work and it went from a reasonable 500 kb/s (which is still somewhat slow, considering I have a 30mbit/s connection) to a weird mix of somewhat OK to totally dismal speeds. However, I had a really consistent upload speed, staying at around 700kb/s the whole time. Here is my download chart: http://prntscr.com/99p0g9 

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what might be causing this?

Posted ... (edited)

I was having a similar problem, and found it to be caused by the buggy 9.0.0.21 TUN/TAP driver, SOLVED BY DOWNGRADING TUN/TAP DRIVER TO 9.0.0.9.2_3/9.9.2_3 or earlier and marking 'DISABLE DRIVER UPDATE' under advanced settings in AirVPN client (Windows x86_64 TUN/TAP 9.0.0.9_3/9.9_3 driver,, other legacy ovpn and driver releases/) from the buggy 9.0.0.21/9.21. 9.0.0.9_original isn't recognized by AirVPN client even with path_var set and it downloads the buggy 9.0.0.21 upon attempting a connection. It's not digitally signed which worries me (9.0.0.9_original and 9.0.0.21 both are), and doesn't have a hash value, but it comes from the official ovpn bin repos (over a plain http connectio :(n it can be got over https, so tls would have to be subverted or a bogus code got in to the repository for it to be bad, and if the ovpn repos have unauthorized code or tls is subverted we have much huger problems). If this doesn't resolve your problem please let me know. I'm pretty sure it will.

Edited ... by johnqpublic

I was having a similar problem, and found it to be caused by the buggy 9.0.0.21 TUN/TAP driver,

SOLVED BY DOWNGRADING TUN/TAP DRIVER TO 9.0.0.9.2_3/9.9.2_3 or earlier and marking 'DISABLE DRIVER UPDATE' under advanced settings in AirVPN client (Windows x86_64 TUN/TAP 9.0.0.9_3/9.9_3 driver,, other legacy ovpn and driver releases/) from the buggy 9.0.0.21/9.21. 9.0.0.9_original isn't recognized by AirVPN client even with path_var set and it downloads the buggy 9.0.0.21 upon attempting a connection.

It's not digitally signed which worries me (9.0.0.9_original and 9.0.0.21 both are), and doesn't have a hash value, but it comes from the official ovpn bin repos (over a plain http connection ).

If this doesn't resolve your problem please let me know. I'm pretty sure it will.

apparently it hasn't. http://prntscr.com/9afl4w

I had 9.0.0.1 downloaded before because I thought it would fix it, but apparently that's not the case since i uninstalled and downloaded 9.0.0.2 and it did nothing different. Could it be like, a protocol problem or something? Or is it the client? I only have OpenVPN on and not AirVPN. could that be it?

The problem is the peer/seed that you are downloading from.

I have ranges from 16kbits on torrents with 1 to 2 seeds and 5 peers; up to 2mbs on torrents with over 30 seeds and over 100 peers

I usually have 5 to 7 different torrents downloading and 3 to 5 torrents seeding

There are other downloaders that are fighting  you for  that download (s).

Also some seeds/peers limit their download and upload speeds also how many active torrents can be available; how many people can download at a time also same for upload.

Check your queue settings, bandwith settings, transfer caps settings;  supply and demand for a variety of torrents are different.

I have had, on AIRvpn servers, 50 kbits up to 4 mbs for all my downloads combined speeds; uploads combined speed to 800 kbits.

If you worry about leaks; go to ipleaks.net. They have a torrent test. They put a magnet link on utorrent which tells you your ip address and port.

Hi All,

Bumping this thread since I've fixed my issue whilst reading through the forums for a solution.

I don't know whether this is entirely relevant or not to this thread, but in qtorrent I've disabled "Apply rate limit to uTP protocol" (under "Enable uTP Protocol" (which is checked) in Option -> Speed). As well as unchecked "Apply rate limit to transport overhead" and "Apply rate limit to peers on LAN" and now my speeds are back up to where they used to be.

I suspect its because I've recently applied lower upload rate limits (and thus unintentionally applied this to the overheads and etc) that I've gotten really slow download speeds.

Sounds reasonable. Maybe you can disable that entire µTP protocol thingy completely. 

I never fully understood what's the benefit from enabling it. It just messes up your speeds IMO.

Hello,

yes, it's obvious that if you want maximum performance you must disable uTP. uTP purpose is to cap/limit/throttle in various refined ways the bandwidth your system reserves to p2p. In the VPN the shaping effects can be amplified.

Kind regards