Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.243.45
alecmck

Asus DSL-AC68U AirVPN Support

Contact Asus about the client key limitations about the VPN client on the DSL-AC68U. It was set at 2999 characters which would not allow the 4096 bit key as used by AirVPN. 

The firmware only allowed for 2048 and therefore could not support Airvpn and some other VPN providers that use 4096 bit keys.

Asus have updated the firmware and now the DSL-AC68U supports 4096 bits and will work with AirVPN. Now has a 3999 character limit.

The Asus DSL-AC68U is a great out the box modem/router with a VPN client. Not many of them on the market however little expense at £115. If your looking for a out of the box off the shelf all in one modem/router with AirVPN support then its a good buy.

Was pervoiusly using Raspberry Pi setup as an AP with OpenVpn. Hope this is of help to anyone that was having the same issues getting AirVPN working with this Asus hardware.

@alecmck: thank you for this info, now it works after firmware update :-)

BUT i now I have another 2 problems:

1) how do I switch the servers with the 68u? Do I need to create a vpn-proflie file via the Configurator of Airvpn for each of the air vpn servers and upload it to the 68u profiles. Then if I want to connect, I need to activate the server I want in the asus web interface. If I wanna change, I deactivate the running one and activate the one I need in the web interface of the 68u, correct? Is there a more elegant way to switch servers?

I just have the client installed on the asus router. is an easier server switch via Ipad or macbook client possible?

2) how do I shut the VPN-Client permanently off (so no VPN is working, which I need for netflix so I can watch at least swiss local content :-( ) on the 68u?  it just works temporarily to deactivate all clients but after some time ( less then 5 hours shorest time I discovered this) the last client that was active reactivates himself, so VPN is on! It is still shown in the web interface of the RT 68u as deactivated but when checked via ipleak. net I can see that the vpn is on.

thank you.

My apology if this is describe somewhere, searched for 3 hours and couldn't find anything related to this 2 problems I discovered.

no one that can help with my 2 problems........

this is an AirVPN forum, not Asus router forum.  don't be surprised to get no answer.

Sorry but these are NOT Asus specific problems, they are clearly related to airvpn and missing information in the setup tutorial for ASUS routers. Was before at nordvpn and there this was all clearly described in the tutorial but at airvpn this works differently...only experiencing this problems with airvpn. Will issue a support ticket now for this...

this is an AirVPN forum, not Asus router forum.  don't be surprised to get no answer.

Sorry but these are NOT Asus specific problems, they are clearly related to airvpn and missing information in the setup tutorial for ASUS routers. Was before at nordvpn and there this was all clearly described in the tutorial but at airvpn this works differently...only experiencing this problems with airvpn. Will issue a support ticket now for this...

wrong.  there is a user comprehension problem and an asus router question.  neither have anything to do with AirVPN.  any VPN provider could be substituted into the above questions.

wrong.  there is a user comprehension problem and an asus router question.  neither have anything to do with AirVPN.  any VPN provider could be substituted into the above questions.

That is exactly not the case. 

with nord vpn the setup of the router was quite similar to airvpn but never experienced

- a reactivation of the last selected server because I simply had just one profile which connects to nord vpn  

- that I have to switch the server in the vpn client of the router or 

- make a config file and upload it for every server I wanna use => the only way server switch works so far for me, very inconvenient with the problem of reactivation which I didn't experienced with any other vpn provider I tried before.

It isn't explained at all in any open vpn set up how to switch the servers at airvpn.

Opened a support request, let's see what the support answers....

a reactivation of the last selected server because I simply had just one profile which connects to nord vpn

You can have it here, too. If you want the best server in the Netherlands, for example, connect to nl.vpn.airdns.org. I think you refer to NordVPN's tutorial also using vpn-nl.nordvpn.com to connect.

It isn't explained at all in any open vpn set up how to switch the servers at airvpn.

It's not explained in NordVPN's tutorial, either.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Ive got this router & have accounts with Air,Nord & PIA & to be honest it's a dreadful piece of kit while running a vpn constant problems.So Id say its a Asus problem.

Ive got this router & have accounts with Air,Nord & PIA & to be honest it's a dreadful piece of kit while running a vpn constant problems.So Id say its a Asus problem.

I ran an AC68 for years with merlin asus firmware with zero problems connected to VPN 24/7.  The only drawback was the speed limitation on openvpn imposed by the relatively weak CPU.

I ran an AC68 for years with merlin asus firmware with zero problems connected to VPN 24/7.  The only drawback was the speed limitation on openvpn imposed by the relatively weak CPU.

Im running the Asus DSL-AC68U which isn't supported by the Merlin Asus Firmware .