Not connected, Your IP: 18.190.156.80
Staff

New 1 Gbit/s servers available (DE)

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new 1 Gbit/s server located in Munich (DE) is available: Mesarthim.

The AirVPN client will show automatically the new server, while if you use the OpenVPN client you can generate all the files to access them through our configuration/certificates/key generator (menu "Client Area"->"Config generator").

The server accept connections on ports 53, 80, 443, 2018 UDP and TCP.

Just like every other Air server, Mesarthim supports OpenVPN over SSL and OpenVPN over SSH.

As usual no traffic limits, no logs, no discrimination on protocols and hardened security against various attacks with separate entry and exit-IP addresses.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any information or issue.

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Team

Thank you for one more german server to connect to.

I will not use it, though. In my experience the shorter BGP route gives the better max speed; the owner of Mesarthim's IP, Contabo, does not have a direct route to my ISP unlike the other german servers or Kitalpha. So I will refrain from using it.

Still, good to see some freshness and diversity in the server locations.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Shorter BGP route doesn't always mean better performance, you should test every case on it's own...

Contabo's entire German traffic is being routed by M-net.de, so this should be your AS to check peerings,

if you wish to rely on it. I never used them personally, but looks not bad - http://bgp.he.net/AS8767#_peers

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I always check the datacenter directly. The route you suggested would be DTAG <> M-NET <> Contabo, then. Thing is: If M-NET fails, chances are high to get routed through US again, and that's the second reason I prefer direct routes.

If M-net fails, Contabo will be using Telia or be in the dark

You don't simply route domestic traffic in EU via US, unless you are some kind of a billionare that runs an ISP for fun,

or if you accidentally misconfigured something very very badly

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I thought the routes used depend on how much they cost. If TeliaSonera costs more than the US provider the latter will be preferred. BGP doesn't know our political boundaries or what distances are

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

I don't want to take it off-topic but if M-NET fails, the shortest path (it's quite complex algorithm where cost is only an optional field) to DECIX will be via Telia.

Which will cost lower since you have less hops in between.

But M-net seems to be very old (20 years) ISP so you should not expect more issues with them than with Leaseweb. They all have a minimum 99.9% SLA in EU.

A more worrying scenario is what will happen is some provider decides to give Air a boot over some DMCAs or other hypocrite stuff. Which I think happened

already with Leaseweb.

Btw, many DTAG locations actually route to UPC (Kitalpha) via London...

https://f-lga1.f.de.net.dtag.de/index.php?pageid=traceroute&destinationIP=91.214.169.68&hopCount=15&af=inet&server=194.25.0.206&exec=Execute

So direct BGP peering does not always means you will get better performace or shorter route. Just a note