Not connected, Your IP: 18.223.33.116
Sign in to follow this  
talis.briedis

Connection problems in China

Suddenly, last week here in Shanghai, I could not connect to ANY server with Automatic protocols selected. I could only get a connection using an SSH tunnel. This option seems to also be slow. Chinese TV sucks and I want to download via torrent my shows...Torrents also generally make the connection crash in several ways (my wifi, the hotels AP, time outs...)

Hello,

direct OpenVPN connections are disrupted in most China lines since years ago, you were lucky that yours was not. OpenVPN over SSL will solve the problem just like over SSH, but probably with higher performance (apparently, SSH is allowed on every line but it is shaped more than SSL/TLS to port 443). Please select "SSL Tunnel - Port 443" in client menu "AirVPN" -> "Preferences" -> "Protocols".

Kind regards

Does anyone notice a very slow speed when using the SSH?  I used to get 4 MB/s, now with the SSH I'm getting 500 kb/s.

I've also noticed that if I use an SSH connection my speed slows to a crawl. When I only run a SSH connection to browse (I have a few VPS servers in the States) I find latency increases to the point the connection is pretty much useless. For now the AirVPN client seems to deal with this ok, but it's still a bit slower than SSL. I'm in China, BTW.

Hey, I have been using some of the UDP ports with time varying results in Jilin province, namely in the morning port 80 from the mid tab has produced even 2Mbits/s speeds in the morning, but the rest of the day it's like having sex in pool of    almost dried bugger no matter the connection protocol.

In other news:
TCP is hopeless, out of UDP's only 80 works sometimes better than others(UDP443 dropped out everytime a while ago, tried 5 different servers), SSH80 kind of works SSL works most of the times too...kinda. I'm still experimenting how to get repeatable 2 MBits because that is when Nf works through Honk Pong in HD

Btw seems like Chiniese ISP's are provincial, not national. I see Shanghai is already mentioned by the thread initiator, what about other two?