Not connected, Your IP: 18.217.108.11
Sign in to follow this  
darkstar1707

Connection issues with VPN on

Hi everyone

I have a similar issue that was discussed back on the 14th April. I have the same problem along with an issue with my email account.

My first question (coz I'm unsure) relates to the advice about flushing the firewall rules as mentioned here

https://airvpn.org/topic/14024-cant-connect-without-airvpn/

I reset my firewall settings to default (using Norton), my system is Windows 7 . After the reset , nothing changed, When I first used this VPN I could switch it off and still log onto the wen without it, not now  ( So, does anyone have advice on what to do now?

My second problem relates to my email account I can no longer send email's from my Outlook 2007 account, is the VPN client likely to be causing this? I can receive emails with no issues.

Thanks all

phil

I believe the first one is related with an unexpected openvpn.exe process termination. Mine fixes itself when launching another instance of the program but that is far from a definitive solution

About your second problem, you mean an outlook.com account Isn't it?

Connecting via a VPN could trigger anti-theft account protection. Make sure you can login on your webmail before.

Thanks Zaroad. I've tried closing down and then relaunching the VPN programme but it seems to make no difference. When I first started using airvpn I could still access the web without the VPN being on if I so chose to but now it has to be on all the time.

I use Oulook as my email programme but my actual email account is not an outlook.com

Phil

For testing try disabling norton and resetting/flushing the windows firewall. 'if its enabled'

That other thread pertains to flushing the windows firewall not the norton firewall.

Unless something changed in a recent version the Air client network lock uses the windows firewall. So resetting the norton firewall will most likely do nothing.

@darkstar1707

Hello!

Outbound port 25 is blocked on all VPN servers, as specified in technical specifications published in our web site.

This is the only exception we make to our Net Neutrailty respectful policy. It is aimed to mitigate spam e-mails. Please use alternative outbound ports (check your SMTP server settings: in many cases they listen to ports 465 and/or 587 for SMTP over SSL/TLS).

About the other problem, you write that you have no connectivity out of VPN, but might it be simply a names resolution problem? Can you please check your system DNS settings?

Kind regards

@darkstar1707

Hello!

Outbound port 25 is blocked on all VPN servers, as specified in technical specifications published in our web site.

This is the only exception we make to our Net Neutrailty respectful policy. It is aimed to mitigate spam e-mails. Please use alternative outbound ports (check your SMTP server settings: in many cases they listen to ports 465 and/or 587 for SMTP over SSL/TLS).

About the other problem, you write that you have no connectivity out of VPN, but might it be simply a names resolution problem? Can you please check your system DNS settings?

Kind regards

Hi staff

Thanks for the reply. I'm not the most technical guy when it comes to some of this, please bear with me   :>). I've checked my connections and seem to show 2 One shows my ipv4 DNS server as 10.4.0.1   This seems to be my normal connection as when I disconnect the VPN, the other connection disappears from my connections. I assume this is when I should be able to connect to the net without VPN.

When I run the VPN ,the second connection appears and doesn't show a DNS entry in the IPv4 dns ,the radio button marked "obtain an IP address automatically" is checked. 

As far as the Outlook issue, I have tried all the combinations of port numbers and SSL/TLS no difference to the problem

Hello darkstar1707,

when not connected to the VPN at least your secondary nameserver should be set to some public DNS server IP address because 10.4.0.1 is accessible only from inside the VPN. Set appropriate nameservers while Eddie is not running. We would recommend OpenNIC, please see http://opennicproject.org

If your mails are not sent to port 465 or 587 (or any port different than 25) then a possible cause is that the SMTP server does not accept connections from our VPN servers. This is for example not uncommon with domestic ISPs which provide home connectivity as well as e-mail services: sometimes they accept usage of their mail services only from clients inside their own infrastructure.

Kind regards

Hello darkstar1707,

when not connected to the VPN at least your secondary nameserver should be set to some public DNS server IP address because 10.4.0.1 is accessible only from inside the VPN. Set appropriate nameservers while Eddie is not running. We would recommend OpenNIC, please see http://opennicproject.org

If your mails are not sent to port 465 or 587 (or any port different than 25) then a possible cause is that the SMTP server does not accept connections from our VPN servers. This is for example not uncommon with domestic ISPs which provide home connectivity as well as e-mail services: sometimes they accept usage of their mail services only from clients inside their own infrastructure.

Kind regards

Hi staff

Many thanks for the advice.....I've solved the DNS, my computer had assigned the 10.4.0.1 to my original internet link (i.e the one I use without AirVPN. I switched that and the secondary connection and voila problem solved  :>)

I can't sort the email issue out however. Guess I'll have to log out of VPN each time I send n email out  :>(

For testing try disabling norton and resetting/flushing the windows firewall. 'if its enabled'

That other thread pertains to flushing the windows firewall not the norton firewall.

Unless something changed in a recent version the Air client network lock uses the windows firewall. So resetting the norton firewall will most likely do nothing.

Hi Rickjames

Thanks for the reply, I've sorted out the main issue, email is dealable with

Cheers   :>)

Thanks Zaroad. I've tried closing down and then relaunching the VPN programme but it seems to make no difference. When I first started using airvpn I could still access the web without the VPN being on if I so chose to but now it has to be on all the time.

I use Oulook as my email programme but my actual email account is not an outlook.com

Phil

If you're in Windows try to reset the network adaptor to auto DNS if you're having issues getting internet outside a VPN.

Network and Sharing Centre-change adaptor settings-right click your adaptor-properties,then IPv4,properties again and set auto  DNS