Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.235.104
Sign in to follow this  
hershey81

Torrent DHT issues on US servers....

Hello. Any suggestions on a router openvpn client setup? Pavonis in chicago usually works but has recently stopped. I moved the udp port from 443 a while back to 2018 and it made a difference, now it doesnt work any more. My torrent clients wont function without dht tracker connections. When I use airvpn servers in Toronto, Canada it works fine on 443.

Just looking for some imput as there are many other reasons i prefer Chicago based servers.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

I'm not able to torrent on US servers now either. Is this going to be a new policy?  

Edited later:  Ok... now I'm able to do it, maybe it was a strange fluke.  Got rid of my ipv6 that I had enabled earlier to keep things simple and now it's working... probably unrelated though...

I got scared there for a minute.   I already have 3 VPNs that I subscribed to a 1 year plan.... didn't want a 4th one :-(       Probably will stick to monthly plans if I'm burned a 3rd time :-)

I think it's an unnecessary pressure, to run public P2P torrents on U.S. servers.

It's kinda allowed by Air's ToS, since a real neutral provider cannot put b.s. policies like "don't do 1,2,3 on XYZ".

There are so many less known trackers and protocols you can choose from, or simply use a non-U.S. server for that.

Whenever you can, just avoid doing anything that can lead to a DMCA letter on a U.S. server (best example are public movie/music torrents).

Unfortunately most people have the "I paid for it, so I'll do whatever I want, that's what VPNs are for" approach, but just like running Tor exits, it's

a very unhealthy thing to do for the community in general. The amount of abuse generated by public torrents is more than you can imagine.

The previous 6 Leaseweb U.S. servers were probably widthrawn for this reason exactly.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.