Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.200.226

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone can answer this conclusively but let's see. I was streaming video content using Debian inside of a Virtualbox with Airvpn, network lock on, and the Virtualbox crashed. I had to close the window entirely. Here's my question: what is the likelihood of an IP leakage? The network lock was on but with it crashing and me manually closing the VM could it have leaked my real IP?

It's nothing serious it's more of a theoretical question, although I hate the idea of YouTube knowing my real IP.

Best,

Rabbit

what is the likelihood of an IP leakage? The network lock was on but with it crashing and me manually closing the VM could it have leaked my real IP?

Do you mean the short time between the crash and you closing VirtualBox? That doesn't matter. If VirtualBox crashes all running guest systems will "notice" it as poweroff without a proper shutdown and in such a state they won't operate anymore. Same applies to the apps running on this VM, it's like you kill -9 all running apps if an OS crashes.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

@CriticalRabbit

Hello,

according to your description no leak was possible. Network Lock in Linux operates with iptables which is a frontend to modify kernel tables. When the VM crashed, either the kernel of the guest OS did not work anymore, so the whole machine was dead even at the most basic level - a TCP/IP stack did not even exist anymore probably - or it did still work, in which case outgoing packets outside the tunnel would have been dropped.

Kind regards