Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.106.241
Sign in to follow this  
foreshadowing

SSH Tutorial for Android???

I notice there is already another topic for this but I want one to be dedicated to a tutorial for SSH and SSL on the android. If someone could post the instructions for them it would be much appreciated to me and many others (especially China citizens). Thank you.

I notice there is already another topic for this but I want one to be dedicated to a tutorial for SSH and SSL on the android. If someone could post the instructions for them it would be much appreciated to me and many othersothers (especially China citizens). Thank you.

I'd appreciate any how-to as well.

One of the main reasons I've signed up and tested this service is because I'll soon be (and often) traveling to countries for work/business that block or heavily monitor network activity.

Really would like to get ssh active with a secure provider for my android.

I have been able to connect via SSH with the following prerequisites:

- Cyanogenmod 11 (or any other rom that ships with command-line ssh client)
- OpenVPN for Android (available in F-Droid)
- Terminal Emulator (preinstalled in CM; available in F-Droid)

1. use the AirVPN generator to create config files for Linux (not Android!)
    - pick a specific server
    - choose SSH as connection mode
    - i recommend checking "Resolved hosts in .ovpn file"

2. run the shell script in your Android terminal emulator to make the ssh connection
3. import the .ovpn file in "OpenVPN for Android" and initiate the connection

Now, how do we get there on stock Android?
You can skip reading my following musings; I've figured out an easier way. Read the tutorial in my next post.

[EDIT: split for clarity - go to https://airvpn.org/topic/13486-ssh-tunneled-vpn-on-stock-android/?do=findComment&comment=24983 ]

It should be possible; none of the steps require root. The only problem is: While there are countless (GUI) SSH apps in F-Droid and the Play Store, you would need one that lets you
- use a key file for SSH authentification
- open a local listening port (ssh -L)

I do not use Google's Play Store on my devices so my own "research" stops there. If I were to try any apps - "Better Terminal Emulator Pro" looks promising as it includes a command-line SSH client.

If that app doesn't work or, like me, you don't want to use the Play Store, you might want to try KBOX2 in order to get a true cli ssh client:
http://kevinboone.net/kbox2.html
If I find some free time (and if KBOX2 turns out to be a viable alternative), I will write a follow-up post.

EDIT 1:
Apparently, ConnectBot (in F-Droid and Play Store) can handle key files and forwarding but I have yet to be able to get it to work.
EDIT 2:
1st road bump with KBOX2: It looks like the dropbear ssh client doesn't like our keyfile format. Solution: convert keyfile with "dropbearconvert":
dropbearconvert openssh dropbear sshtunnel.key id_rsa.db
(Install dropbear on a linux desktop, run the command, then change the AirVPN .sh script, swapping out "sshtunnel.key" with "id_rsa.db")

EDIT 3:
My KBOX2 experiment seems to work. I can't say for sure because I'm working in the Android emulator - which won't let OpenVPN create a tun device, but I don't see any connection-related issues... I'm fairly certain it'd work on a real Android device.
EDIT 4:
Alright, all this KBOX2 nonsense is unnecessary! ConnectBot can port-forward and use the keyfile too, much easier than setting up KBOX2. Read the tutorial below.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0