Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.80.94
bigtop

WebRTC Leak and Torrenting??

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster here and I'm hoping someone can help ease my worries.

I just recently setup AirVPN to be used on a machine I have for downloading and activated the network lock on my setup.  Just an hour or so ago, I was browsing some topics here and tested my setup on http://ipleak.net and it showed my real ip address along with the ip address i have from AirVPN.

I've been doing a good amount of downloading in the last 48 hours, and I just wanted to know if it was possible that anyone got a hold of my real IP Address while I was torrenting?

I read somewhere that the security problem is browser based, so there's not much to worry about (although i'm trying to patch it up now, any suggesting where to look for a windows 8.1 OS?).  I just wanted to confirm if this was the case?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I'm a complete noob at all this.

Thanks in advanced.

Hello,

One quick step that may settle your worries is by downloading the "torrent address detection" magnet link on IPleak. This will show you what IP is visible to other peers in the swarm. Was your real IP address under the DNS or WebRTC tab? There are ways to fix both. For the DNS leak there are many forums here with instructions on how to do so. If it was a WebRTC leak there are instructions for a solution at the bottom of the IPleak website.

@cmls

Look if your windows firewall is activate , it's MUST working to works with network lock , sometimes he is desactivate with windows 7 ans 8.0 , 8.1 (strange but i often see that) ... and disconect your another firewall if you have one (kapersky , symantech ....)

@S.O.A

"One quick step that may settle your worries is by downloading the "torrent address detection" magnet link on IPleak"
It's don't work with like P2P emule-amule client , have a solution to test it ?

Hello,

One quick step that may settle your worries is by downloading the "torrent address detection" magnet link on IPleak. This will show you what IP is visible to other peers in the swarm. Was your real IP address under the DNS or WebRTC tab? There are ways to fix both. For the DNS leak there are many forums here with instructions on how to do so. If it was a WebRTC leak there are instructions for a solution at the bottom of the IPleak website.

Hi S.O.A,

Thanks for the reply.

I just checked the torrent address detection on IPLeak and it's giving the IP Address from AirVPN.  Does that mean I'm all good? My real IP Address was showing up under WebRTC.  Under DNS, it's the same AirVPN IP address that's shown under the torrent address detection.

Does that mean I'm in the clear?

@bigtop

Ya, you are good! Depending on what browser you use, you can fix the WebRTC leak. There is an extension for Google Chrome and for Firefox you have to follow the instructions on the IPleak site. It's an easy fix! 

To be more secure with windows , have checked DNS check and DNS force on the settings , I think it will be "by default" in future of eddie 2.9 version (for windows) .... but not in the 2.8 and those before versions (settings > advanced > general) Windows is the king for leaks DNS ans others stuffs .

@bigtop

Ya, you are good! Depending on what browser you use, you can fix the WebRTC leak. There is an extension for Google Chrome and for Firefox you have to follow the instructions on the IPleak site. It's an easy fix! 

I think it's worth noting that the Disable WebRTC Chrome extension no longer works at all. There is no point in installing it. I don't think there is currently any solution for the Chrome browser for WebRTC leaks. I'd love to be wrong about this so if anyone has a solution for Chrome, please let us know!

Update: The new "Eddie 2.9 Experimental" thread contains a post about ver. 2.9.2, which as a new feature that is supposed to solve the WebRTC leak problem. This is early release test/beta, so appropriate considerations should be taken. See the thread.

I'm currently using the following as a batch file.  Believe it requires Windows Firewall to be active, or you can just set the rules in some other manner if you know how I guess

disclosure: got this off cryptostorm

@echo off
::save as a .bat file, run as administrator
::then visit https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/ to verify
::no more public IP leaking :-D
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="No STUN leak for j00!" dir=out action=block protocol=UDP localport=3478
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="No STUN leak for j00!" dir=out action=block protocol=UDP remoteport=3478
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="No STUN leak for j00!" dir=in action=block protocol=UDP localport=3478
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="No STUN leak for j00!" dir=in action=block protocol=UDP remoteport=3478
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="No STUN leak for j00!" dir=out action=block protocol=UDP localport=19302
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="No STUN leak for j00!" dir=out action=block protocol=UDP remoteport=19302
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="No STUN leak for j00!" dir=in action=block protocol=UDP localport=19302
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="No STUN leak for j00!" dir=in action=block protocol=UDP remoteport=19302

I plan to make another to turn it back on and I guess run them when AirVPN starts/stops.

@bigtop

I think it's worth noting that the Disable WebRTC Chrome extension no longer works at all. There is no point in installing it. I don't think there is currently any solution for the Chrome browser for WebRTC leaks. I'd love to be wrong about this so if anyone has a solution for Chrome, please let us know!

Update: The new "Eddie 2.9 Experimental" thread contains a post about ver. 2.9.2, which as a new feature that is supposed to solve the WebRTC leak problem. This is early release test/beta, so appropriate considerations should be taken. See the thread.

Agreed, the Chrome Extension hasn't worked for me on Chrome or Opera. I switched to Pale Moon browser, which I don't like as much. It would be great if a future version of AirVPN controlled WebRTC on its own!

Agreed, the Chrome Extension hasn't worked for me on Chrome or Opera. I switched to Pale Moon browser, which I don't like as much. It would be great if a future version of AirVPN controlled WebRTC on its own!

Hello,

assuming that you can enable Network Lock, all Eddie versions since 2.5 should be blocking "WebRTC leaks". Eddie 2.5 was the first version to feature Network Lock. https://airvpn.org/services/changelog.php?software=client&format=html

Kind regards

Hello,

assuming that you can enable Network Lock, all Eddie versions since 2.5 should be blocking "WebRTC leaks". Eddie 2.5 was the first version to feature Network Lock. https://airvpn.org/services/changelog.php?software=client&format=html

Kind regards

Just updated to 2.9 and WebRTC detection on ipleak.net is now only showing AirVPN IPs (and my local LAN IP).

Previously, testing (with Network Lock enabled) on Google Chrome had shown my ISP's IP under WebRTC detection.

Very pleased with the new client!