Not connected, Your IP: 35.175.212.5
Sign in to follow this  
allanmills

[SOLVED] Using Bittorent on Kubuntu Linux

Hello. I am using AirVPN with the configuration provided when not using your client (i.e., downloading the .zip file and running OpenVPN from a terminal) under Kubuntu Linux. Everything seems to work fine except bittorrent (I'm using the Ktorrent client).

When not connected to VPN it works fine. This is the only thing not working properly and it's not able to connect to anything at all (and I tried to run the test at checkmytorrentip.com to no avail which confirms that no connection exists through VPN). I haven't forwarded a port (unsure how to do that) and haven't changed the settings in my program.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Allan

Hello. I am using AirVPN with the configuration provided when not using your client (i.e., downloading the .zip file and running OpenVPN from a terminal) under Kubuntu Linux. Everything seems to work fine except bittorrent (I'm using the Ktorrent client).

When not connected to VPN it works fine. This is the only thing not working properly and it's not able to connect to anything at all (and I tried to run the test at checkmytorrentip.com to no avail which confirms that no connection exists through VPN). I haven't forwarded a port (unsure how to do that) and haven't changed the settings in my program.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Allan

Hello!

We're sorry, we are not able to reproduce that behaviour. KTorrent in its default configuration, and without remote port forwarding, appears to work just fine. Please note: without remote port forwarding, initial seeding is not possible. This is normal, not a fault of KTorrent.

However, there can be a case for which KTorrent can NOT work. In its default configuration, UDP port for UDP trackers is 4444 and DHT is off.

Now, if you share a torrent with UDP tracker(s), if the tracker(s) can't contact your client and/or is/are down, there's no way for KTorrent to know which peers share the file pointed by the torrent.

Solution: log in our website, select menu "Member"->"Forwarded ports". Forward two ports and remember the port numbers.

Then, configure KTorrent ports so that they match the two ports you have just remotely forwarded.

To do so, select menu "Settings"->"Configure KTorrent". Click on tab "Network". Type in the fields "UDP tracker port" and "Port" the two ports you have previously forwarded. In this way you'll be able to do initial seeding and to receive incoming connections.

Finally, enable DHT. Click on tab "BitTorrent" and tick the box near "Use DHT to get additional peers". DHT will enable the client to find peers even when trackers are down. Furthermore, it will enable your client to share trackerless torrents and trackerless magnet links.

Please note that when you forward ports, your computer will be reachable from the Internet on those ports.

Let us know if the above configuration solves your problem.

Kind regards

Hello,

I have an identical setup, and forward the two ports. unfortunatelly Ktorrent does not seem to be able to download the magnet link.

Also, when I check the ports from AirVPN configuration interface the port forwarded as "UDP tracker port" fail the test.

I hope you can help!

Regards,

David

Hello!

If magnet: is not a registered service, please just copy the magnet link and paste it into KTorrent, or register the magnet protocol (please see the KTorrent wiki for details, assuming that you run Gnome).

About the port, can you please make sure that both ports are correctly set (i.e. they match the remotely forwarded ports)?

Kind regards