Not connected, Your IP: 18.116.90.141

I am new to the whole home vpn, i fully  understand what a vpn does and how it works in a business.

My scenario.

I don't have a dd-wrt router, i have to use dsl and PPPoE to connect.

I have and Asus RT n66u with the stock firmware

I have an old dlink dir-625 router

i was using my asus to connect to the ISP and then port forwading ports so i could reach my Sab and CP installs to add files from indexers.

I got a free account with no-ip to do my ddns.

I was happy but then i notice that my ISP started to reset my internet connection for no reason. ISP does not have data limits but i suspect they were monitoring where my ssl connections ended. So when a large number of GB were been downloaded it mysteriosly quit working.

Any how. so i tried out a competitor Express VPN works great but would not do port forward

I also reliaze that I could not do a PPPoE and the vpn client on the Asus to connect to the ISP and then to the vpn service. So i had to introduce the second router.

So the dlink does the PPPoE and then the asus is connected to the dlink via a static ip and  the asus does the vpn client to airvpn and this works.

However from what i been reading on the Asus i should not have the ports needed for sab and cp forwarded.

But in my mind I have too because when i used whatever.airdns.org:88888 how will the ASUS know to forwward that incoming request to 10.1.1.1:8081.

Or do I absolutely need to have a router tha has been dd-wrt, yes i know you dd wrt the asus but i do not want to unless i have to.

any enlightment would be awesome!

I did some more testing and found out that when the asus router connects to airvpn internet seizes to work at all on that devices connected the router.

I can plug into the dlink and internet works. So i just disconnected the asus router from vpn and the devices got internet access.

I installed tunnelblick on my mac and uploaded the ovpn file and connected with a temporary issue. Tunnelblick advise me that the intenet was not reachable but after a few minutes internet begin to work. Other devices never lost access that were not using airvpn.

I hope someone has the same setup as me and can help. My guess with internet not working is that DNS is not working correctly but im not sure where the problem lies. the dlink, the asus and/or my ISP.

I guess no one has this setup and could not help me.

I learned that this won't be possible unless I dd wrt. My router.

I am still interested in air vpn and I am thankful that the admins gave me a free trial. But I'm disappointed that no one else chimed in.

But I'm disappointed that no one else chimed in.

If no one replies, then no one knows the solution. I'm sorry I personally couldn't help you with that.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

@flat4

I was happy but then i notice that my ISP started to reset my internet connection for no reason. ISP does not have data limits but i suspect they were monitoring where my ssl connections ended. So when a large number of GB were been downloaded it mysteriosly quit working.

Just make sure that the downloaded data is about 70% of the total bandwidth. For example on a 25Mbps=~3.1MB/s set the value in your torrent client to 2000 or around that =~1.9->2MB/s. I hope this works for you, but if you increase that value to a greater one you'll get disconnected again. 

Yes i started to do that, my torrents were to set to 100 kb up and down. So i wasn't taxing my internet connection.

Yes they took a long time but i felt safer, this is before i explore  a vpn. Once I started to notice the drop offs after being solid for years i figure they were watching.

So vpn service here I come.

As it turns out, my modem was going bad and my local telco replace it with the same model. I dont care what model it is as long as it works.

Well when i place  this modem in service it started to do the same and disconnect from the internet. So maybe when i thought my isp was resetting my connection it was really my modem dying slowly.

Anyhow they replaced it with  a zyxel VMG8324-B10A  and switch me from a regular dsl line to a VDSL line and this new modem does the PPPoE by itself (welcome to the 2000)

So my asus (which i dd wrt) is set to dhcp.

I am hoping that with this new setup i can configure my asus to connect to airvpn.