Not connected, Your IP: 13.59.135.197
Sign in to follow this  
ZehKaas

Question about TOR

Hello,

I'm more then willing to pay for a good vpn, but i have a question.

I'm currently using Linux.

I need clients to connect to my server. For that i need a IP and a port. 

This wont work with TOR alone, because the ip changes every time. so people told me to get a VPN first. 

The person said i needed vpn AFTER tor. 

But the question is, how do i do this on linux. 

If there's anyone able to explain (or link me to a tutorial ), il get myself a payment plan right away. 

Hello,

about OpenVPN over Tor and Tor over OpenVPN please see https://airvpn.org/tor

The person you cite was probably talking about OpenVPN over Tor.

With our free and open source client Eddie for Linux you can connect OpenVPN over Tor without any middle-box or VM. OpenVPN over Tor is supported natively by Eddie, as far as we know it is the first and currently only open source OpenVPN wrapper for Linux and OS X with this feature.

Kind regards

I was reading some other topic last night, and it made me do some extra research.

AirVPN is second best "no-logs" vpn there is. But others tell me that "every vpn keeps logs" 

Is AirVPN located in a country that allows you to keep no logs?

Do you personally think i need both airVPN AND Tor to be really secure? 

Or is airVPN secure enough?

How about payment, is it safe for me to pay in Paypal, or do i need to pay with bitcoins for extra privacy?

I was reading some other topic last night, and it made me do some extra research.

AirVPN is second best "no-logs" vpn there is. But others tell me that "every vpn keeps logs" 

Is AirVPN located in a country that allows you to keep no logso you personally think i need both airVPN AND Tor to be really secure? 

Or is airVPN secure enough?

How about payment, is it safe for me to pay in Paypal, or do i need to pay with bitcoins for extra privacy?

The reason I did not immediately reply is because your "threat model" is unique.  We don't know what you are trying to accomplish and how strong (if any) your adversary is.  So lets look at some basics.

1. Paypal is in essence directly tied to you.  For your threat model is it OK if YOU are tied to Airvpn use?  Even if Air is perfectly secure and they don't betray you, it would be trivial for an adversary to examine Paypal and see you are using Air as a paid subscriber.  Know what I mean?

2. do we think you need TOR and Air? - Your question:  it again depends upon your threat model.  Air has consistently discussed a "partition of trust" where multiple providers are used to disallow any one provider from compromising your actions while online.  I use multiple vpn's, tor, and linux vm's to establish a "partition of trust".  Its easy to do and it lets me sleep better at night.

3. your logs question:  this is really an extension of 2 above.  Air has told you they don't log.  However; you also don't have to trust them if you properly employ a partition of trust.  Secondly, and importantly, it is highly likely that an adversary is logging connections to the datacenters large VPN providers are using (all of them not just Air's).  Over time it is not that tough to do traffic analysis from "outside" the vpn tunnel, especially if you are using a simple one hop connection.  When you bump it up to 5 + hops/relays it becomes catastrophic for analysis.  Just something to consider.

4.  you mentioned someone told you that you need a vpn after TOR:  the solution varies but the important thing is your knowledge regarding post exit node activity.  Regardless of whether your vpn tunnel is one hop or 6, at some point you will leave the protected tunnel and connect to a website of some sort.  As you leave the encrypted tunnel this is referred to as your exit node.  If you connect to a non-encrypted site using http as an example, the traffic from the exit node to the site is NOT encrypted anymore.  Before we discuss this any further do some reading about the various post exit node strategies.  They are abundant and we would be happy to help.