Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.119.79
Sign in to follow this  
edeggbound

can i swap local safely

Hello all,

Bit new to this but when I changed vpn location, let's say Netherlands to Canada. Is my ip address visible.I do run the airvpn/windows firewall if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance.

Yes your IP is visible to sites you connect with, and will match the Air server you are connected to if that is your exit node.  While you are here at the forums you can go down to the bottom of the page and look at the center box, which gives the IP the "outside world" will see while you are connected.  The current IP in your case will be displayed in green (meaning you are connected to an Air server as an exit node while coming to this site) and the server exit IP will be shown (this is true for anywhere you surf while connected).  Just look at the center box while on a NL server and then again while on a Canadian server.

This will NOT be the case if Air is not your exit node.  e.g. - I am on Air as vpn1 but since I use TOR over Air, my center box is RED and displays as not connected currently to Air.  This is because my exit node to this site is NOT an Air server but a TOR relay.

Not trying to confuse you just help you get a picture of how this all works.

Thanks for info . 

so lets say hypothetically you was downloading a large file and the NL server was slow. So you want to swap to a faster Air server . Now in this processes of swapping from one air server to another ,is my ip visible to the out side world ?

Thanks for any and all help. 

Hi edeggbound,

Your question depends a a lot on the protocol that you use in order to download your large files.

If you download it over HTTP without download acceleration plugins, the browser will simply close the connection and your download will be marked as failed.

Some downloader extensions support resuming file downloads in case of connection problems (DThemAll, JDownloader, etc), in case the server supports it.

In that case your ISP IP can leak to those servers during the vpn server reconnection.

In case you are using a P2P protocol like torrent, the IP can leak as well unless the application is configured to listen only on specific network interface.

The risk here is theoretically low, but you should ask the question who is the "outside world" for you means.

Regards

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hello all,

Bit new to this but when I changed vpn location, let's say Netherlands to Canada. Is my ip address visible.I do run the airvpn/windows firewall if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Yes, in some cases. To prevent that just activate "Network Lock" in the client.

Kind regards

Hello again,

Thanks for all your help.

Yes it was p2p and yes had network lock on. I have been out of the p2p game for a long time,I am not a heavy

user. Any advice??

Thanks again.