Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.12.172
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Ashton

ANSWERED Did I do something stupid?

Hi,

New user... think I may have done something stupid...  Set up AirVPN. All was working fine.

Came back to the machine later and noticed that there were tow networks connected. Thought I would disconnect the second one running on the Windows TAP interface. Disabled the "adapter" and now I can't connect to AirVPN at all. I have a message that constantly pops up in the system tray showing connect then disconnect. Keeps doing it.

now, when I go to the network adapters window the TAP interface is gone. Ho do I get it back?  I assume all will then work!

Please help...

Thanks.

Hello!

You can run the "addtap" script (it may be on different locations according to your OpenVPN version) or more simply you can re-install OpenVPN.

The tun/tap interface is vital, it is the virtual network interface used by OpenVPN. Without it, OpenVPN can' t work in any way.

Kind regards

I realise that I can reinstall it but how can I stop AirVPN constantly trying to connect / disconnect. It's doing it all the time and it's annoying! 

I thought that I could tun AirVPN only when needed but it seems to want to have it running all the time. The only way I can stop it running is to end the process. Seems odd that I have to do that. Launching it now installs the driver each time so that works ok, I guess I''l have to set up a kill process to stop it running.

Unless someone has a better idea of how best to do this...  ??

On Win 7 I have to reinstall Tap-Win  adapter every time before launching the AirVPN. Otherwise I have exactly the same problems as you do.

As I'm primary Linux user (on which there is no such troubles) I have neither wish nor time to investigate the problem. Just bear with it.

"Bearing with it" isn't an option.  I'll set up a batch file with a taskkill statement in it. I've been messing about with this and if I kill it, it does seems to restart ok and install the adapter each time. I'm surprised that someone from AirVPN hasn't jumped in here and said that it is an issue that needs some work.

Any of you guys listening?

"Bearing with it" isn't an option.  I'll set up a batch file with a taskkill statement in it. I've been messing about with this and if I kill it, it does seems to restart ok and install the adapter each time. I'm surprised that someone from AirVPN hasn't jumped in here and said that it is an issue that needs some work.

Any of you guys listening?

Hello,

of course but this issue is unique to your system at the moment. We can't reproduce it in any way and we have no additional reports to work on. Should you have additional information (such as logs, error messages, system status) do not hesitate to send them to us. Currently your data are insufficient for any deeper investigation.

Kind regards

=now, when I go to the network adapters window the TAP interface is gone. Ho do I get it back

I use the following approach in Win7-64.

Initially I've downloaded Eddie 2.7 for Win64

After that I downloaded tap-win.exe from here:

https://airvpn.org/generator/

I chosen needed countries , marked Advanced Mode and   Bundle executables-->64bit.

I install AirVPN every time manually (after reinstalling openvpn.exe and tap-windows.exe), I disable all possibilities for it to start on its own.

Every time when I want to enter the internet after using AirVPN (regardless with/without AirVPN), I always have to launch openvpn.exe and tap-windows.exe  which were generated as mentioned earlier.  Otherwise it's impossible io enter the internet at all and to kill all the associated  processes I should have made some efforts.

Maybe this method is  strange for Windows geeks, but it works.

=this issue is unique to your system at the moment.

definitely not. I remember a few similar complaints in this forum since the times of creating Eddie2.7.

Hello lsat,

it looks correct that Gary's client fails and re-tries to re-install the driver because Gary disabled the tun adapter (first message of this thread), so this is not an unexplained problem but an expected behavior and we consider it solved.

What we can't reproduce and it seems a unique issue to Gary is the fact that the client needs an ungraceful kill to quit. lsat, which thread are you referring to? About your problem (which we suspect is a different problem than Gary's problem), it might be a corrupt TCP/IP stack, you might try to re-install it in Windows.

Kind regards

=About your problem  it might be a corrupt TCP/IP stack

Definitely not.

The prerequisites for corrupt TCP/IP stack are consistent troubles with ALL internet connection, regardless of VPN.

If the only program after which I have to clean up the mess in Win7 is AirVPN, it's the AirVPN which produces the problem.

If I don't use AirVPN at all I can use other VPNs(or don't use them at all) without necessity of reinstalling tap-win. The only case when I have to reinstall something is when I previously used AirVPN client.

If I use AirVPN client without reinstalling the 2 exe files mentioned above, I end up with hunging on AirVPN and I have to kill the process to get out of this predicament

=About your problem  it might be a corrupt TCP/IP stack

Definitely not.

The prerequisites for corrupt TCP/IP stack are consistent troubles with ALL internet connection, regardless of VPN.

Hi,

no, not necessarily. We have observed many cases confirming that. In some cases, but not all, re-installation is not necessary, the problem is solved with a reset, including a Winsock sockets catalogs reset (see here for example: https://airvpn.org/topic/8320-solved-connects-but-ip-doesnt-change-on-windows-server-essentials-2012/?do=findComment&comment=8321 )

If the only program after which I have to clean up the mess in Win7 is AirVPN, it's the AirVPN which produces the problem.

If I don't use AirVPN at all I can use other VPNs(or don't use them at all) without necessity of reinstalling tap-win. The only case when I have to reinstall something is when I previously used AirVPN client.

If I use AirVPN client without reinstalling the 2 exe files mentioned above, I end up with hunging on AirVPN and I have to kill the process to get out of this predicament

While these symptoms tend to confirm that it has something to do with the client, and this is a behavior we have been unable so far to reproduce. Would you mind testing Eddie 2.8RC3 to see if it's the same or not?

Kind regards

=Would you mind testing Eddie 2.8RC3 to see if it's the same or not

(see my 1st reply )

As I'm primary Linux user (on which there is no such troubles) I have neither wish nor time to investigate the problem. Just bear with it.

=Would you mind testing Eddie 2.8RC3 to see if it's the same or not

(see my 1st reply :bye: )

Hello,

on the other hand, we would recommend that you try 2.8RC3 on Windows as well.

Kind regards

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies. However, I've solved the issue by removing everything and installing AirVPN client as the "actual" machine administrator - not just using "Run as Administrator" option on the installer.

This cleans up the behaviour ok. Now I can disconnect and login / logout using the button on the client.  There is one more issue now and I'm not sure if I can continue this thread or whether I need to start a new one..... SPEED...  When AirVPN is not connected I can easily get 50mb/s speed from my 60mb/s service no problem. I start the client then I only get about 20mb/s - even though I connect to the fastest server I can find. There are reports about connecting via TCP only - or UDP only but I can't find anywhere in the client to change this (there is no MODE tab anywhere as described in a previous post).  I tried changing the rules in the Windows Firewall to allow one and disallow the other (both ways) but the speed is slow no matter which one I choose.

Here's the thing.... "Sometimes" it works ok and I actually "get" good results from the speed test (Ookla)!  More often than not, I don't and it's slow.

Any ideas about this?  (Please move this to another section if this query requires another forum or post - thanks).

Hello,

to change connection mode (ports, protocol etc.) select in the client "AirVPN" -> "Preferences" -> "Protocols".

Do not trust speed tests and try different connection modes just in case your ISP is throttling OpenVPN connections.

Kind regards

Ah... That makes sense.  The drop-down menu at the top isn't immediately obvious! 

Ok, will try a few methods to see if anything changes. Thanks.