Not connected, Your IP: 18.227.52.176
Sign in to follow this  
sephiroth1103

New to VPN have question.

So I am new to the VPN am looking to have anonymity. Lets just say I do not want to receive any more letters from my ISP. I want to both use uTorrent and also keep my information safe from other prying eyes. Is AIRVPN the windows client alone good for this? or is there other steps and programs I should use? Thanks for the help.

You need a internet kill switch to disconnect your utorrent client from connecting directly to the internet if your vpn connection fails.

(Use a static LAN IP outside your routers DHCP range)

In cmd (admin mode) type:

route delete 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

(Assuming your router ip is 192.168.1.1)

Also remember to quit utorrent before getting the default gateway IP back on your networking card.

You need a internet kill switch to disconnect your utorrent client from connecting directly to the internet if your vpn connection fails.

In cmd (admin mode) type:

route delete 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

(Assuming your router ip is 192.168.1.1)

Also remember to quit utorrent before getting the default gateway IP back on your LAN card.

Thanks so if I just type that into my sys admin cmd window it will kill automatically? Also, yea I make sure my uTorrent has been exited before I disconnect VPN. Any extra steps or programs I should use.? Thanks for the help.

So I am new to the VPN am looking to have anonymity. Lets just say I do not want to receive any more letters from my ISP. I want to both use uTorrent and also keep my information safe from other prying eyes. Is AIRVPN the windows client alone good for this? or is there other steps and programs I should use? Thanks for the help.

Hello,

if you run our client Eddie you might like to activate "Network Lock" option to prevent any leak, including leaks in case of unexpected VPN disconnection.

https://airvpn.org/topic/12175-network-lock

The method suggested by dd79 is NOT safe in general, due to potential DHCP lease renewal. Please see here for more details:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9787-the-pros-and-the-cons/?do=findComment&comment=11501 (see UPDATE 2 and UPDATE TO UPDATE 2).

Kind regards

You may also want to look into qBittorrent.  It allows the selection of a network interface to run off of.  Just select the TUN adapter and it shouldn't go out onto the main interface if the VPN goes down.

I think I will just use the option network lock and call it a day. Now to finish up my question, I obviously know i'm not hidden from the government, if they want to spy on me they can, however this keeps me hidden completely from my ISP and potential trademark crap from torrenting correct? Also I read Air VPN does not keep logs is this true? Thanks all much appreciated. I wish I could keep my VPN on all day but I have to disconnect from it to go onto my work VPN.

I obviously know i'm not hidden from the government...

Why do you think this is the case?  All data, including DNS, is encrypted from your PC to the AirVPN server you are connected to.  After the AirVPN server to the website you are interested in can be viewed by snooping eyes, but they will not know who requested it since AirVPN uses a "shared IP" model.

At least that's how I understand it works.