Not connected, Your IP: 18.189.14.219

Hi,

I apologize if this has been covered before but I couldn’t find an answer to my concern.

I’ve recently updated to Eddie 2.7. In the client I have enabled Force TAP interface UP, Force DNS, Switch DHCP to Static, Check if the tunnel uses AirVPN DNS, and Check if the tunnel effectively works – everything else is set to default.

To check for DNS leaks I use dnsleaktest.com, ipleak.net and entropy.dns-oarc.net/test. On the first two I can only see the AirVPN addresses but on dns-oarc I can also see one or more addresses belonging to my ISP.

I have connected to servers in Switzerland as well as the Netherlands and both have the same outcome.

Could you explain why the results are different and whether I should be a bit concerned about the dns-oarc result?

If your getting any results showing your ISP thats bad. Have you tried flushing your DNS then retesting https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+To+Clear+Your+DNS+Cache

GRC's Nameserver test https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm is probably the most comprehensive test out there although the dns-oarc is pretty good also.

If your ISP is still showing after flushing it and re-testing then you have a leak. If this is the case not to worry as it is a straight forward fix. We will cross that bridge if necassary.

With the dns-oarc check are you seeing something like:

54.225.156.17 ec2-54-225-156-17.compute-1.amazonaws.com
ec2-54-246-124-152.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com

If so that is fine. Air has some backups. You really only need to be worried if you are seeing anything to do with your ISP.

If your getting any results showing your ISP thats bad. Have you tried flushing your DNS then retesting https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+To+Clear+Your+DNS+Cache

GRC's Nameserver test https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm is probably the most comprehensive test out there although the dns-oarc is pretty good also.

If your ISP is still showing after flushing it and re-testing then you have a leak. If this is the case not to worry as it is a straight forward fix. We will cross that bridge if necassary.

Just as an additional information, Eddie flushes the DNS cache resolver immediately after a connection has been established.

@vpntunnel123

Since you already checked "Force DNS", the only cause of your "leak" problem we can think of (assuming you see your ISP DNS, and not our backup DNS as snaggle pointed out) at the moment is via IPv6. Does your ISP fully support IPv6 and IPv6 DNS?

Kind regards

Thanks for the replies.

The dns-oarc does show AirVPN's primary and backups but it also displays my ISP DNS. I know that Eddie flushes the DNS but I have also flushed the dns via the command prompt, yet I still get "leaks". Using GRC's Nameserver test gives me 11 addresses, 3 of which are AirVPN's with the rest belonging to my ISP.

My ISP does not fully support IPv6 and IPv6 DNS, they tunnel IPv6 over IPv4.

Update: Everything is fine now, no DNS "leaks". Following the IPv6 line of thought I disabled the IPv6 DHCP option in my router settings, reconnected and now on all of the tests I mentioned as well as GRC's Nameserver test I can only see those belonging to AirVPN.

Thanks for all the help

A noob here and testing the 3 day plan before signing up further.

Running both the GRC and dns-orac tests show that I'm leaking DNS. Both tests detect 5 results. 2 from my ISP, 1 air and 2 back-up air I believe. I have the same setup with the client as the original poster. I don't believe my ISP supports IPv6, but I'm guessing this is the issue. How would I disable this?

Thanks.

Guest JWW

Running both the GRC and dns-orac tests show that I'm leaking DNS. Both tests detect 5 results. 2 from my ISP, 1 air and 2 back-up air I believe. I have the same setup with the client as the original poster. I don't believe my ISP supports IPv6, but I'm guessing this is the issue. How would I disable this?

Thanks.

1) Check your router for any option to disable IPv6

2) Disable IPv6 in your network adaptor settings:

In Windows, right click on the adaptor for 'TAP-Windows Adapter V9' and choose properties. You'll see IPv6 in the settings list - uncheck and click 'OK'

Thanks.

1) Check your router for any option to disable IPv6

2) Disable IPv6 in your network adaptor settings:

In Windows, right click on the adaptor for 'TAP-Windows Adapter V9' and choose properties. You'll see IPv6 in the settings list - uncheck and click 'OK'

1) Accessing my router address shows that the TCP/IPv6 setting is diabled and I cannot seem to find any other options to disable.

2) Through 'network and sharing center' I unchecked the IPv6 setting from the list.

Still no improvement. Should I also do the same to the primary adapter (ethernet) as well?

I unchecked the IPv6 setting in both my primary network adapter and the TAP-Windows V9 adapter and so far I don't seem to be getting any DNS leakage from any tests. I've read elsewhere that this step only disables IPv6 on my LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface. I would have to make a change in the Windows registry in order to disable the IPv6 on tunnel interfaces. Is this necessary, if my DNS leaks have stopped?

So I can assume that I can now use the VPN to resume torrenting without having to worry about my true identity being exposed! If so, happy days and I will now extend my subscription.