Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.219.226
Sign in to follow this  
Alesis789

Linux n00b, help installing client (debian)

So I've only just starting using ubuntu/linux last week or so, making slow progress but sometimes (being a lifelong windows/OSX person) I get stuck on the most simple things, need somewhere to explain raw basics for me, a lot of resources online are for exact technical questions instead. So I've downloaded the client, and have my usr folder with all relevant files ... now what? Do I need to just move files to correct place? Or compile in some way? (not sure how to do that)

Cheers.

Hello!

To simplify things, with Debian just download the .deb package (32 or 64 bit version according to your Linux kernel). If you run Gnome or KDE or Xfce as Desktop Manager, right click on the icon and select "Open with..." -> "Package installer" or anything similar.

If you don't run any of the above Desktop Managers contact us again. Also, you can anyway install everything from a shell (as root), just with apt-get and dpkg.

For Debian 7 readers' reference:

apt-get update
apt-get install gksu mono-runtime mono-utils libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil libmono-winforms2.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil openvpn stunnel4
dpkg -i <airvpn_package.deb>

Kind regards

I understand your "windows thinking".  You may feel more comfortable downloading the file from Air directly to the desktop on your ubuntu machine.  From there extract it to the same desktop.  Then you can click on it to install it.  The Ubuntu Software Center will come up and you can simply install Eddie from there.  It only takes about 30 seconds to install Eddie.  After installation you will click on the upper left button and you will see the Airvpn icon.  Click on it and you'll launch the client.  You will need to key your admin password to "authorize" linux to allow the operation.

Very simple and somewhat familiar to a "windows mindset".

Hello!

To simplify things, with Debian just download the .deb package (32 or 64 bit version according to your Linux kernel). If you run Gnome or KDE or Xfce as Desktop Manager, right click on the icon and select "Open with..." -> "Package installer" or anything similar.

If you don't run any of the above Desktop Managers contact us again. Also, you can anyway install everything from a shell (as root), just with apt-get and dpkg.

apt-get update
apt-get install gksu mono-runtime mono-utils libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil libmono-winforms2.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil openvpn stunnel4

Kind regards

Thanks, I don't run any of the above Desktop Managers, also I tried the commands as root but on the third one I get this error:

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

Any idea why?

Hello!

apt-get update

Kind regards

Thanks, I don't run any of the above Desktop Managers, also I tried the commands as root but on the third one I get this error:

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

Any idea why?

It's because the line includes a placeholder for the actual name of the package that you downloaded.

ie.

dpkg -i <airvpn_package.deb>

Simply indicates that ypou should replace <airvpn_package.deb> (the whole thing including the brackets) with the actual name of the file.

For example, if the name of the downloaded file was some_package_name.deb then the command would be:

dpkg -i some_package_name.deb