Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.12.50
Sign in to follow this  
Jack of Hearts

Can DNS servers block Air VPN?

Today I suddenly was unable to use my Air client or even get this website to come up (using my normal connection). I just got a "server not available" message.

So out of curiosity, I switched from my ISP's DNS addressses to google's, and boom: I got here just fine. My other computers -- which I did NOT change DNS servers on -- still cannot even get me to this website, let alone use the client.

Is it possible that my ISP has blocked AIR on their DNS servers? If so, this is strange, and has happened very recently. Has anyone ever heard of this?

EDIT: I am here now on the Air client, using the computer I changed DNS addresses on. But my other computer, still using my ISP's "automatic" DNS addresses, still cannot launch Air client or even get to this website with the normal connection.

So I guess my final questions are:

1) Is this something I should be concerned about? As far as my privacy or being targeted?. I don't use Air very often at all.

2) If I now must use "outside" DNS servers to run Air, are there some that are a little less "public" than Google's?

Is it possible that my ISP has blocked AIR on their DNS servers?

Your ISP is probably blocking everyone that isn't one of their customers, which is not uncommon.

When you use Air and try to access your ISPs servers, you don't look like a customer, just some random person making a request from a foreign country, and so the server refuses to answer.

The solution is to use Air's DNS when you are connected to the VPN (as rickjames already pointed out). That's about as less public as it gets.

Is it possible that my ISP has blocked AIR on their DNS servers?

Your ISP is probably blocking everyone that isn't one of their customers, which is not uncommon.

When you use Air and try to access your ISPs servers, you don't look like a customer, just some random person making a request from a foreign country, and so the server refuses to answer.

The solution is to use Air's DNS when you are connected to the VPN (as rickjames already pointed out). That's about as less public as it gets.

Thanks for the replies.

Mage: What concerns me is that I can no longer connect to this website (or get Air client to log in) on my normal connection. I do switch to Air's DNS server once I'm using Air -- to prevent leaks --  but when I'm not using Air I'm simply another one of my ISP's customers pulling two "automatic" DNS servers of theirs. I've never had this website blocked, until now. Now I have to manually enter a "non-ISP" DNS just to GET to Air, then switch to Air's DNS once I'm logged in.

It's a minor inconvenience, but it seems like an intentional move on their part. Air is the only website that will not resolve in our browser now ("cannot be found") -- like they actually decided to block it. And I'm not sure why.

I hope this clarifies a little. I think my original post was unclear.

Mage: What concerns me is that I can no longer connect to this website (or get Air client to log in) on my normal connection. I do switch to Air's DNS server once I'm using Air -- to prevent leaks --  but when I'm not using Air I'm simply another one of my ISP's customers pulling two "automatic" DNS servers of theirs. I've never had this website blocked, until now. Now I have to manually enter a "non-ISP" DNS just to GET to Air, then switch to Air's DNS once I'm logged in.

It's a minor inconvenience, but it seems like an intentional move on their part. Air is the only website that will not resolve in our browser now ("cannot be found") -- like they actually decided to block it. And I'm not sure why.

Hello!

Can you tell us (even in private) which ISP is it? Also, the Air client (only from version 2 and higher, maybe you're running version 1.x?) should bypass easily this apparent DNS poisoning.

Kind regards

Mage: What concerns me is that I can no longer connect to this website (or get Air client to log in) on my normal connection.

My apologies, it seems I fell into the trap of throwing out an answer without having the whole picture. (It seemed like you were putting your whole network behind Air's VPN, and "on this computer that uses my ISPs DNS, I can't reach the site".)

And I personally can't stand when people try to answer questions without understanding the problem, so no dessert for me today!