Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.221.121
tlc

ANSWERED US netflix + torrents == two tunnels?

(I'm in the US, but netflix is throttled.)  I'd like to watch netflix through a vpn and torrent through a vpn.  Does that require two tunnels, one to a US location and one not?

Thanks

Posted ... (edited)

No, it doesn't. You can connect your PC to AirVPN and download something while watching Netflix. Be aware that your speed limit is the speed of your internet. I recommend setting up a download speed cap in your torrent client; you will then have enough bandwidth left for Netflix.

To help you with choosing how mich bandwidth you might need to reserve for Netflix, look at wikipedia. There's a table showing recommended internet speeds if you want to watch Netflix videos in a certain quality. For instance, if 1080p is good for you, reserve 7 Mbit/s minimum; I recommend 10 Mbit/s - torrent and Netflix don't need to be the only applications using the intenet. These three additional Mbits might prevent buffering issues.

Edited ... by gigan3rd

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Which country should I use then?  I tried US Netflix using a European server and it didn't work.

US torrenting might generate DCMA requests.  Does AirVPN prefer we use non-US servers for torrents?  Some VPN providers do.

OK.  Here's part of my confusion.  These pages seem to say AirVPN does tricks to let us watch US Netflix no matter where we connect:

https://airvpn.org/forum/10-websites-support/

https://airvpn.org/topic/9223-netflix/

But when I turn off the VPN or choose "America" (generated config) and get a Canadian server, I see my usual Netflix home page. And I can watch this movie http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70136810&trkid=13462100&tctx=-99%2C-99%2Ca40e4c8c-928d-481d-ae65-f24624c9484f-3423703

When I chose "All-servers" and get a Netherlands server, the movie above fails with "This title is not available to watch instantly.  Please try another title." and I see a different version of the Netflix homepage -- different "Recently Watched", different "Top Pics for tlc" list, no "Because you watched..." lists and a Dutch Movies section.

So I'm just trying to understand.  It seems like I should select a US server to watch US Netflix.  I also assume that AirVPN would prefer we not use US servers for torrent traffic.  Is this correct or do I misunderstand?  Do I need connections to two countries to do these things at the same time?

@gigan3rd, I thought the Staff had at some point advised using only the Netherlands server for torrents. Something to do with nor overburdening servers in other countries. I could be mistaken. As per your knowlegde, we can use any server we wish when downloading torrents?

Also isn't Netflix one of the websites the AirVPN DNS does some geo-ip magic to allow viewing when connected to any server? Meaning one shouldn't have to connect to a US server to watch Netflix.

Hello,

@tlc

Important pre-requisite: micro-routing is available ONLY if you query VPN DNS.

Netflix USA is accessible from every VPN server located in countries where Netflix is not available:

- from NL, GB and SE VPN servers, you will access respectively Netflix NL, UK and SE (no micro-routing)

- from any other country, you will access Netflix USA

Kind regards

@gigan3rd, I thought the Staff had at some point advised using only the Netherlands server for torrents. Something to do with nor overburdening servers in other countries. I could be mistaken. As per your knowlegde, we can use any server we wish when downloading torrents?

Of course you can use any server.

I mostly connect to german servers and can confirm that torrents are working good there. Maybe just because I use a private index/tracker.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.