Not connected, Your IP: 3.91.17.78
Sign in to follow this  
Lee47

Speedtest showing real location and not VPNs

Bit of a strange one I know speedtest seems inaccurate but before it was showing my VPN connected location ie the country I was connected to but all of a sudden past few days it is now showing my real location in my own country.

ipleak and grc test confirm the IP and location is that of the VPN country, so why has speedtest suddenly figured out my real location ?

Any ideas?

web browsers may leak your location directly.  I know firefox has a switch to turn it off.  about:config, geo.enabled, set to false.

not sure how to edit this function in other browsers.

Which browser and OS do you use? Is geolocation off (in FF search for geo in about:config)? Did you make sure that your only used nameserver is 10.4.0.1? How exact is your real location detected? If it's only your country, the website might use your browsers prefered language setting sent in every request.

geo.enabled set to off in about config

and tried other browsers just in case...

10.4.0.1 listed under my pfsense which is working fine as far as I can tell ill reset my firewall just in case but yeah pretty strange that speedtest reports my location but list the vpn ip as in another country. Even ipleak shows the correct geo location of the vpn exit.

thanks for suggestions bit of a strange one indeed!