Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.235.181
Sign in to follow this  
ezd

Be aware of router ad proxies

I've spent the last hour trying to find out why I don't have any problem connecting to AirVPN but still have a red "Not connected" warning on all pages. Turns out that I had a privoxy adblock proxy installed and actively used on my computer. So while the vpn connection worked well it wasn't actually used because all traffic was routed through the proxy and not through the tunnel. Hope this helps someone because the forums and the internet didn't solve this problem.

Just wanted to chime in saying I wouldn't want everyone think you can't accomplish network wide ad blocking though.

I use a Dedian based filtering OS called Untangle to filter ads network wide. It has an adblock package that uses easylist as well as makes it easy to create your own rules. I run it on an Intel Atom motherboard.

Your issue was the use of a proxy, which redirected the connection. The way I have it done there is no proxy, it is transparent and network wide.

Have my guides helped you? Help me keep helping you, use my referral: userbar.png

How to set up pfSense 2.3 for AirVPN

Friends don't let friends use consumer networking equipment!

I run privoxy (transparent/intercepting mode, port 80) from my router Netgear R7000, firmware DD-WRT r24760 and constantly connected to airvpn, no problem and smooth web surfing.

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)