Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.29.101
Sign in to follow this  
iwih2gk

Linux connection clarification

I added the Thabit server entry IP to my ufw firewall on my Linux machine.  I did that so the new server entry would be an allowed IP.  I can still easily connect and use Air via the "Canada" by country config generator cert's I created after the major upgrade around here.  I just had this thought; should I create a  new pre-configuration using the generator since the older one was made before Thabit was installed?

I am not on my Linux machine right now but I was last night.  While it connected fine it did not seem to ever use Thabit but the other CA servers only.  Could just be a fluke, but I thought I would seek clarification.

Obviously, I could have created a new pre-config faster than typing this post.  I am trying to learn something so I am looking for clarification.

I added the Thabit server entry IP to my ufw firewall on my Linux machine.  I did that so the new server entry would be an allowed IP.  I can still easily connect and use Air via the "Canada" by country config generator cert's I created after the major upgrade around here.  I just had this thought; should I create a  new pre-configuration using the generator since the older one was made before Thabit was installed?

Hello!

You don't need to re-generate.

When you select a country in the Configuration Generator (assuming that you don't tick "Resolved hosts in .ovpn file"), the generated configuration file contains the line "remote .vpn.airdns.org ". So the system connects to .vpn.airdns.org, which is a name which resolves into entry-IP address of the server with the best rating according to the Air system (for Canada, ca.vpn.airdns.org).

The system computes the rating for each server every 5 minutes according to a formula which uses weighted parameters: packet loss, server status, server latency from all other Air nodes and available bandwidth. Then the DNS record for each country is set to the exit-IP address of each server with the highest rating in that country. Therefore ca.vpn.airdns.org resolves to the Canadian server with the highest rating, which (when you tried connections) was not Thabit. If Thabit becomes the server with the highest rating in Canada, then the DNS record for Canada name is updated so that ca.vpn.airdns.org will resolve into Thabit entry-IP address. That happens for continents too. If Thabit becomes the server with the highest rating in America (continent) then the DNS record for america.vpn.airdns.org is updated accordingly.

In the servers monitor (accessible by clicking "Status" from the upper menu of our web site) you can always see the current best server for each country, continent and planet, in one of the tables on the right.

Kind regards

Staff,

WOW that was really an informative response!!

I am glad that I started this thread instead of ignorantly just generating a new pre-config file.  On my windows machines I use the Air client, where I always manually select the exact server I want to use.  I know I could do that individually with linux pre-configs, but really a country "code" is just perfect for what I do.  That way your system selects the best operating option from within the country I want to use at the time (I have several different country pre-config's setup in my linux machine).

Your explanation/description of how your system resets the DNS to resolve to the optimal country server was crystal clear.  That is flat out amazing in fact.

AirVpn is just flat out amazing!!