Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.138.179
Sign in to follow this  
sooprtruffaut

Can no longer browse websites once AirVPN connection is established - Raspberry Pi VPN gateway

I'm using a Raspberry Pi as a VPN gateway. Everything worked fine until yesterday when something (not quite sure what) happened and I had to rebuild my Pi's image. I rebuilt the specific configuration identically to my first, working image and now, for some baffling reason, whenever I establish the VPN connection I can no longer browse to websites on my laptop. 

I know this is a common problem with VPN's however I have no idea how to resolve in the Raspian environment. 

Any help in this frustrating matter would be greatly appreciated!

Hello!

It might be a DNS issue. Please check whether you can ping IP addresses but names can't be resolved. If so, make sure that your nameservers list in /etc/resolv.conf (or equivalent in Raspberry) includes 10.4.0.1 (i.e. a line "nameserver 10.4.0.1" in resolv.conf file) so that you enable Raspberry to query the VPN DNS. Please see also here https://airvpn.org/topic/9608-how-to-accept-dns-push-on-linux-systems-with-resolvconf

If it's not a DNS issue, please feel free to publish your OpenVPN logs.

Kind regards

Hello!

It might be a DNS issue. Please check whether you can ping IP addresses but names can't be resolved. If so, make sure that your nameservers list in /etc/resolv.conf (or equivalent in Raspberry) includes 10.4.0.1 (i.e. a line "nameserver 10.4.0.1" in resolv.conf file) so that you enable Raspberry to query the VPN DNS. Please see also here https://airvpn.org/topic/9608-how-to-accept-dns-push-on-linux-systems-with-resolvconf

If it's not a DNS issue, please feel free to publish your OpenVPN logs.

Kind regards

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I can ping numerical addresses while the daemon is turned on and tried both options you suggested and neither seemed to work so once I figure out how to actually log what openvpn is doing I'll post the data. Hopefully sometime soon!

It seems that openvpn on the pi doesn't satisfy the second condition on this page https://airvpn.org/t...with-resolvconf, as it appears to use the wrapper network-manager to run, instead of running directly. Is there any work around I can use in this instance?

Also, I'm looking around the web trying to find some way that I can learn how to log openvpn events and I'm getting nowhere! If anyone could point me in the direction of a straightforward tutorial on how to log events in linux I'd really appreciate it. It's probably a very noobish question but this is the first linux based device I've ever worked with so… it is a noobish question!

It seems that openvpn on the pi doesn't satisfy the second condition on this page https://airvpn.org/t...with-resolvconf, as it appears to use the wrapper network-manager to run, instead of running directly. Is there any work around I can use in this instance?

Also, I'm looking around the web trying to find some way that I can learn how to log openvpn events and I'm getting nowhere! If anyone could point me in the direction of a straightforward tutorial on how to log events in linux I'd really appreciate it. It's probably a very noobish question but this is the first linux based device I've ever worked with so… it is a noobish question!

There is a very good chance that your openvpn logs will be somewhere in /var/log though I can't say for sure as I don't use openvpn on a nix device atm.