Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.202.54
Sign in to follow this  

Hey!

I´ve found the link to the website http://checkmytorrentip.com/ in the forum and tryed my qBittorrent client with that one.

The qBittorrent client is set to use only tun0...but when i start qBittorrent first and then connect openvpn my real ip leaks first.

Thats not how it should work   

I'm using Ubuntu 12.4...

Hey!

I´ve found the link to the website http://checkmytorrentip.com/ in the forum and tryed my qBittorrent client with that one.

The qBittorrent client is set to use only tun0...but when i start qBittorrent first and then connect openvpn my real ip leaks first.

Thats not how it should work  :no: 

I'm using Ubuntu 12.4...

Hello,

really not, that's not how it should work at all. Clearly qBittorrent is not bound to tun0.

Kind regards

Just tested again and same problem, no failure on my side. As far as i can see.

"Clearly qBittorrent is not bound to tun0."

D9mzXjjh6S1A.png

Can someone verify my problem? THX!  

Hello!

We don't mean to claim that you did not configure qBittorrent correctly, but simply that qBittorrent does not bind to tun0 in reality: your description simply means that. After you have made sure that tun0 is your tun/tap interface (check with command "ifconfig"), a thing that you can try is running qBittorrent only when tun0 is up. Then shut down the VPN connection and see what happens to qBittorrent. If it continues to communicate through eth+ (or wlan+ etc.) then the bind option does not work properly.

Kind regards

I didn´t take it that way  

Is there a iptable/ip rule/ip route command to drop bittorrent except it goes through tun0?

Thanks for the help!  

Hello!

Yes, you can do that with iptables, provided that the owner module is available in your system. You can block outgoing packets on every physical interface (for example eth0, wlan0... determine your interface names for example with command "ifconfig") coming from the qBittorrent owner. An example:

iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth+ -m owner --uid-owner user -j DROP

iptables -A OUTPUT -o wlan+ -m owner --uid-owner user -j DROP

The two rules above will drop any outgoing packet of any process launched by user user from any WiFi and Ethernet interface in your system. Replace user with the User ID that launches qBittorrent. In order to determine this UID use for example "ps aux | grep -i torrent" (provided that the qBittorrent process has "torrent" contained in its name). Therefore, only packets coming from tun+ (the network virtual interface used by OpenVPN) can get out.

Be aware, though, that in this case the rule will block leaks (i.e. packets outside the tunnel) of ANY process launched by the same qBittorrent owner, not of qBittorrent only.

Kind regards