Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.198.173
Sign in to follow this  
tammo

ANSWERED Just a (beginner!) question to API ...

Hello,

at first, sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language!

I have read this notice in the FAQ about API.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the topic. But I would need it only for one thing: to disconnect the active vpn-connection.

If I understood right, I could use it via internet browser?
So I had just to type in (or copying or clicking via favorite) this adress:

https://airvpn.org/api/?format=<web>&key=<your_api_key>&service=<disconnect>

(Previously I had to generate an api-key and write it in the adress-line instead of "your_api_key".)

And that's all?
Have I written it correctly?

Unfortunately, I can't just test it, because I had a three day trial and this has already ended. (And I have dealt with the issue too late! )

Background:
I have a little suspect problem with the "explicit-exit-notify" directive in the openVPN config file. If this is in the config-file (.ovpn), then openVPN doesn't work properly anymore, after the pc comes up from standby. It connects again, but then hangs up (crashes), and I can't disconnect, respectively change the connection anymore (or sometimes it even doesn't connect anymore after coming up from standby). So I have to kill the process via taskmanager!
That's it, why I have to delete the "explicit-exit-notify" directive. This has the consequence, that I can not quickly switch the connection anymore, because of the server-timeout.

Hello,

at first, sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language!

I have read this notice in the FAQ about API.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the topic. But I would need it only for one thing: to disconnect the active vpn-connection.

If I understood right, I could use it via internet browser?

So I had just to type in (or copying or clicking via favorite) this adress:

https://airvpn.org/api/?format=<web>&key=<your_api_key>&service=<disconnect>

(Previously I had to generate an api-key and write it in the adress-line instead of "your_api_key".)

And that's all?

Hello!

Your English is just fine. Yes, that's all.

Have I written it correctly?

Not entirely, you need "...format=web..." and "...&service=disconnect" (i.e. without the ">" and "

When you enter your actual api key, remember not to put the > and

So:

https://airvpn.org/api/?format=web&key=blabla&service=disconnect

where blabla is your key.

We understand the problem with explicit-exit-notify (please note that we can reproduce this issue on Windows only: on Linux there are no such problems; we do not have a rational explanation for that at the moment). The API can help you greatly when you hibernate or put to sleep your device. Alternatively you can connect on TCP (which does not need any exit notification), but you will get probably lower performance than UDP.

Kind regards

Well, great!

I think, that's a solution, I can live with. I tried already TCP, but I found it a bit slower, as you wrote.

In the normal course of things I will not change the connection so often. Most of the time, I set the connection only once per day. But sometimes, there are such situations, where I have to change and then it would be a bit annoying, if I had to wait up to five minutes, until I can myself reconnect.

But really interesting is, that you can reproduce this problem on windows (without having a rational explanation for that at the moment)! I had been already so my thoughts, and even considered completely new set up my system! But that would be rather pointless.

My far goal is, to change completely to Linux (but at moment I'm fighting a lot with it!), so then maybe this problem is past!

Thanks very much for the great help! :thumbsup: