Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.41.134
Sign in to follow this  
retiredpilot

Confirming normal AIR IP activity.

I just wanted to confirm something I noticed while logged in here using Whonix over Air.  I am in the member client area.  Air shows me logged in to a Netherlands server (it is the correct one) and shows the corresponding exit IP.  Although the web page lower box is RED and shows an IP from my Whonix connection.  However; I also see a third different IP up on the Air webpage in my client area as well.

Does Whonix create an IP for both the gateway and the workstation?  I am curious as to why I see THREE IP's on my client area page.

Whonix takes some getting used to because the IP's keep changing as I spend time online.  I don't have the trust thing down yet.  Its tough to know if I am safe when I try and keep an eye on IP management but they keep rotating.  LOL!!

Hello!

Consider that the main Client Area page reports 3 IP addresses: the IP address of the VPN server you're connected to (VPN server entry-IP), the VPN server exit-IP address (i.e. the IP address your system is visible on the Internet IF there are not further tunnels), and the IP address that the server sees for your system connection, which may be your ISP IP address, if the system is connected directly, or not, if the system is connected over some other proxy or VPN etc.

The airvpn.org web page, in the central bottom box, reports the IP address detected for your system by the web server. If it's red, the IP address is not one of the Air VPN servers exit-IP addresses: this implies either that your system is not tunneling traffic, OR that it's tunneling properly but the outgoing traffic is additionally tunneled, so that the web server sees the final exit-IP address of the node that's forwarding packets to the VPN server.

Example 1: your system connects directly with OpenVPN, then (on the same system) you launch TOR and you browse to the web site with the TOR browser or any other browser configured to connect over TOR. The web site server will see the TOR exit-node IP address, and the central bottom box will be red (but this does NOT mean that your system is not connected to the VPN). The Client Area shows that the connection comes from your real IP address. Our servers can't see the traffic content of the applications configured to connect over TOR.

Example 2: your system connects with OpenVPN over TOR. The web site server will see the VPN server exit-IP address and the central bottom box will be green. The Client Area shows that the connection comes from the TOR exit-node IP address. Our servers can't see your real IP address and all the TOR nodes can't see the traffic content of any of your applications (still/already encrypted by OpenVPN), EXCEPT those configured to connect over the same TOR proxy that OpenVPN is connected to.

Kind regards

Your description is exactly what is going on. Talk about a "brain fart" I totally forgot about the IP I connect to Air with. Duhhhhh!! I was not used to seeing the website box RED when I am positive I am connected to Air. It is working fine.

You know options 1 & 2 is a tough call to make. They both have such different advantages. So far I have found that for posting on various websites the speeds are nice enough using Whonix over Air. I am going to play in the other direction as give that a look as well.