• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 f5tu47WFN

f5tu47WFN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

I am facing the dreaded DNS issue that is caused by not exiting Eddie properly, which in the case of Linux Mint, is due to Eddie crashing frequently (there is a long thread about this). There is also a long thread about the DNS issue, but that thread is all about Windows and provides no step-by-step instuctions for Linux users who encounter this.

​This is the resolv.conf file on a Linux Mint PC that is able to connect to the internet with Eddie (AND network lock) turned OFF. In other words, this is what my resov.conf file should be when I disconnect from Eddie:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.1.1

However, this is what my resolv.conf file looks like when I exit Eddie now:

​# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

There is no nameserver, and adding it manually does nothing to resolve the issue. How can I fix this so the resolv.conf file is restored correctly? I need to be able to access the internet when Eddie is disconnected. Thanks.

#2 f5tu47WFN

f5tu47WFN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:59 AM

Well, I figured out how to fix it, so I'll post it here in case it helps any other Linux Mint or Ubuntu user:

1) After closing Eddie, open this file as root:

/etc/network/interfaces

2) Add this line after "iface lo inet loopback"

dns-nameservers yourdns youraltdns

But change "yourdns" and "youraltdns" to whatever DNS you want. It would look like this if you were using Google's dns:

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

3) Type this in the terminal: 

sudo ifdown -a

4) Then type this in the terminal: 

sudo ifup -a

After doing this I was able to able to connect to the internet with AirVPN disconnected. Problem solved.

#3 magnumpi

magnumpi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Should we need to reboot after running those commands? Dumb question - for the dns - is that something we lookup in our router configuration or you can just choose to use Google's or....?