Not connected, Your IP: 3.91.249.156
Silverspring

Slow speeds using Asus RT-N66U UDP or TCP .ovpn

Hi,

I'm using a Asus rt-n66u router for a while with OpenVPN on port 433. Since speeds are not good, I played with settings / multiple configs to get better speeds but so far those efforts failed.

I have a Ziggo ISP account that allows a max speed of 150 Mbps down.

On my laptop (Wifi) without vpn I get speeds around 50 to 65 Mbps.

When I use AirVPN via the Asus rt-n66u router, I get speeds around < 10 Mbps down and equal up.

I've used the https://airvpn.org/asuswrt/ howto page, so uploading the .ovpn file into the router. Currently I run latest Merlin 380.65 firmware. I also used lower versions of Merlins firmware, which did not cause change in behaviour.

I've puzzled a lot to get the config on higher speeds but it does not matter if I use UDP or TCP and / or  change ports. Tried them all. I used the AirVPN generator set to router, country set to Netherlands and as described using either UDP or TCP trying multiple ports.

I can understand that vpn causes overhead in traffic but dropping down to 10 Mbps is a bit too much.

What can I do to speed things up?

What can I do to speed things up?

Don't use a router.

This topic has been discussed thoroughly in several threads. It's the global consensus that consumer-grade router's CPUs are not able to handle much of AES encryption/decryption, effectively decreasing the throughput.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.