#21 OmniNegro

OmniNegro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationThe Fiery Pits of Texas, USA.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

Want to see a sickening amount of useless URLs that are in Firefox? Go to about:config and search for URL. And there are many more that do not have URL as part of the search phrase.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

#22 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:30 PM

yeah nobody should step in and act like they own the damn forum or have the right to tell others what to say or how to say it

and sometimes the person that is acting like they care don't really care, sometimes that is just a person wanting attention

for whatever reason, i've posted my firewall conky helped others out here off and on i totally get how a forum operates, i've also

built a couple forums and ran them, so totally get it

what i don't like and won't put up with is someone like giganerd or gigglez or gigaterd

absolutely give two shits about that asshole and you can hammer my account or dox or whatever

and since this is about extensions and this is a hacktivist forum about encryption and anonymity maybe you should do your homework a

little better coz as far as i'm concerned what i posted up is about the only post that makes sense on a encryption anonymous forum

give two shits if you like how i put it or not, you got a tutorial up here that is bleeding info back to 'list' servers basically self hack

and you want to thank someone for that ? coz they took the time ? that is already all over the net how to set up noscript, google it

so now you got someone hitting a privacy forum thinking that is the right way to run that kind of deal

and what does bleeding your vpn ip back to those servers to get some kind of list do for you anyway ? 

huh ?  nothing, no why ? coz you gotta click whatever page you are on anyway to allow something

so that click right that you think is awesome that you didn't have to do now coz you got someone else thinking for you

telling you what they think is ok to run on whatever page you are on just bled credz

and in some parts of the world, where they take anonymity and encryption serious, some parts of the world, that can cause serious harm

to either the person on the box or the person's family or friends

have a good day

So let me sum this up (as hopefully the last off-topic post in this thread, since I cannot reach you privately). You think you can offend me by posting this shit here instead of just answering my personal message (which you just left without any words) and help clearing this situation. You are not interested in doing so. You cross the line and take it to the public.

And after all this, you say you don't want to mess with people like me and you reserve the right to do, say and write what you want? No comment.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#23 cm0s

cm0s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

cheerz

#24 quindecim

quindecim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

Well, after reading this thread i made a few changes to my plug-ins.

was already running https everywhere, ublock origin and NOSCRIPT. But have now replaced this with Request Policy, which even after short use i can see is much better. I like also how it instead of noscript saying " temporarily allow website x ", request policy will say " temporarily allow requests from website a to website b ". so thanks bros!

I actually also run another plugin called Disconnect , that seems to block out alot of other stuff that ublock origin and noscript (previously) didn't seem to pick up on.

Any opinions on Disconnect from the more learned people in the community here? or is it duplication that i dont really require and should remove?

also, I've followed this guide here to set my browser up to be a bit more secure. I've got it all running perfectly except for facebook, it wont show pictures or anything on the frontpage, however if i click onto a blank picture for example, it'll open in a new window.

i've tried enabling all available connections in request policy, unblocking in https everywhere, i still cant work out how to restore it back to normal. has anyone got any ideas as to what might cause that?

#25 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

There's one thing I'd like to ask:

Can uBlock be seen as a replacement for NoScript? It sure is one for Disconnect.

Always remember:

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#26 zhang888

zhang888

Donald Trump of IT/Security

• Moderators
  • 2219 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

not uBlock but uMatrix can.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

#27 cm0s

cm0s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

saw yer comment zhang
all i did on this thread zhang is like i've done
on many threads, try to either promote other's good posts
like bigbrosbitch post originally on hardening firefox
all i did was add some updates to that original user.js

i don't like forum bullies zhang, been online 20+ years
got no problem someone not liking me or my country even
as a few in here seem to not care for America
didn't even make a comment on that, someone calling American
citizens stupid in a signature and a few other posts

went back redid the posts i took down, figured right thing to do
if it helps others, wasn't right for me to take stuff down like that
whether i stay a customer or not won't happen again

in the two decades been online rarely had a problem with anyone
i'll go out of my way to avoid problems but maybe you should redirect
your comments to the other guy lets take for example this thread shall we?

i posted up like mentioned before someone else's hard work
(don't want to be a copyright troll ya know)
and added some current configs i use for the user.js
another member steps in, tells me how to post as that person does
a lot of that with others also
after months of it it gets old

so not sure what to say really, if i got a bit vulgar my bad on that
sometimes i still think every place is a combat zone or my ptsd flares up

i'll put airvpn ahead of myself on this one, here's the deal, if it's better
i go just close my account and give what days i got left to someone else
new i'll find another vpn place to roll my packets

cheerz

note: yeah the about:config 'url' is a good one, back up your directory before removing too many at one time
as it can brick the browser, also search for 'remote' 'media' 'update' etc all the main search engines of course
plus even the social media stuff, they are in there also

#28 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:36 AM

May a few users of uBlock please post their filter configuration if it differs from OmniNegro's? Just to see if there are other healthy combinations I can use. :)

Always remember:

#29 ruler2016

ruler2016

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

hi all.
does uBlock Origin replaces noScript and AdBlock Plus or should I still continue to use all three. Is Request Policy replacing all the above mentioned?
I'm triying to minimize my add-ons because newest FireFox versions are destroying my laptop performanse especialy if I have too many add-ons. my current ones are:

Navigational Sounds
SmoothWheel
Download Manager
Dcurrency  
Download YouTube Videos as MP4
Password Exporter
Secure Login
BetterPrivacy
AdBlock Plus
no script
Cookies Manager+
Self-Destructing Cookies
WorldIP
Calomel SSL Validation
Tab Mix Plus
XMarks (only for bookmarks)

BTW I'm also using TOR. it comes with very little add-on like noscript out of box. should I add some privacy/security ones like Self-Destructing Cookies, BetterPrivacy,... or I should't touch it?

thanks.

#30 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

does uBlock Origin replaces noScript and AdBlock Plus [...] Is Request Policy replacing all the above mentioned?

It replaces ABP. For replacing NoScript/Request Policy, see uMatrix.

SmoothWheel

Isn't this already a FireFox preference? Preferences > Advanced > General > Browsing: Use smooth scrolling.

Dcurrency

I know that Windows 7 and Windows 8(.1) with the help of 7GadgetBar or whatever it's called have a very good gadget for this. There are also desklets for Cinnamon and most probably for other Linux DEs as well. If you aim to reduce your addon footprint definitely try to outsource this to the desktop.

BetterPrivacy

Cookies Manager+

Self-Destructing Cookies

Three addons doing the same thing? I'd stick with the latter and eliminate the rest.

WorldIP

This addon seems to do too much. I use Flagfox which shows a flag icon of the server's location. Also, its lookup possibilities can be manually edited, so instead of linking to some GeoIP site of the FlagFox devs I configured it to link to IP-API. Quick links to Google Web Cache, Google Translate, Isitdown, SSL-Labs, that sort of things to round up quick lookup potential.

There are also a few addons I'd rather not use but I understand why you would.

Always remember:

#31 Khariz

Khariz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

I'd use Privacy Badger instead of those three cookie/privacy managers.  Eff.org made/endorsed and very customizable.

#32 ruler2016

ruler2016

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

I use Cookies Manager+ for restoring small list of cookies (for some forums) I need when I enter firefox because it's set-up to clean everything on exit, and Self-Destructing Cookies I'm using for real time destruction of cookies except small white-list.

BetterPrivacy I had for ages. Doesn't it do something that Self-Destructing Cookies don't?

I removed WorldIP, Calomel SSL validation and Smoothwheel.

BTW Smoothwheel has a nice function for scrolling with mouse wheel, you have 3 speeds; normal one, ALT+scroll for fast and SHIFT+scroll for slow.

thanks all

#33 OmniNegro

OmniNegro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

BetterPrivacy

Cookies Manager+

Self-Destructing Cookies

Three addons doing the same thing? I'd stick with the latter and eliminate the rest.

I must point out that they do not do the same thing. BetterPrivacy is aimed at the so-called undeletable cookies used by nonsense you should not have like Adobe Flash. Most browsers are incapable of dealing with this type of garbage, and most extensions are not able to either. The only reason at all that I use BetterPrivacy is that it seamlessly handles LSO cookies just as easily as normal ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_shared_object

And here are the points BetterPrivacy has about them:

- they are never expiring - staying on your computer for an unlimited time.
- by default they offer a storage of 100 KB (compare: Usual cookies 4 KB).
- browsers are not fully aware of LSO's, They often cannot be displayed or managed by browsers.
- via Flash they can access and store highly specific personal and technical information (system, user name, files,...).
- ability to send the stored information to the appropriate server, without user's permission.
- Flash applications do not need to be visible
- there is no easy way to tell which Flash-cookie sites are tracking you.
- shared folders allow cross-browser tracking, LSO's work in every flash-enabled application
- the Flash company doesn't provide a user-friendly way to manage LSO's, In fact it's incredible cumbersome.
- many domains and tracking companies make extensive use of Flash-cookies.

The Self Destructing Cookies extension makes it possible to use a site that requires cookies to work without having to manually purge everything it gave you afterwards. The other one? I have not heard of it yet.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

#34 OmniNegro

OmniNegro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

I'd use Privacy Badger instead of those three cookie/privacy managers.  Eff.org made/endorsed and very customizable.

I agree and support Privacy Badger, but they do not yet have a means of dealing with the things these extensions handle. It may in time, but at this point it cannot touch cookies of any sort to my knowledge. (It may block domains from making cookies if you set it for that, but the cookies that are already there are untouchable to it.)

#35 Khariz

Khariz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:32 AM

I didn't know about LSO cookies at all. Learn something great on this site every day. I have flash disabled, but it's still interesting.

#36 ruler2016

ruler2016

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

what about TOR add-ons?

should I at least add Self-Destructing Cookies or is TOR already shredding all the cookies in real time?

#37 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

BetterPrivacy is aimed at the so-called undeletable cookies used by nonsense you should not have like Adobe Flash.

LocalStorage is fully supported by Self-Destructing Cookies. Again, why do I need three addons doing the same thing?

Always remember:

#38 OmniNegro

OmniNegro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

BetterPrivacy is aimed at the so-called undeletable cookies used by nonsense you should not have like Adobe Flash.

LocalStorage is fully supported by Self-Destructing Cookies. Again, why do I need three addons doing the same thing?

I checked and you are right. But I recall it to be quite different. Either I started with BetterPrivacy way before Self Destructing Cookies came out, or I added SDC and did not think to remove BP. Thank you for pointing this out.

#39 OmniNegro

OmniNegro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

*Edit* Deleted the post. This extension is useless. uBlock has the solution well in hand already. See later posts for the details.

#40 zhang888

zhang888

Donald Trump of IT/Security

• Moderators
  • 2219 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

Oh. Here is another extension I have used for years, but somehow did not include in the original post.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-google-analytics/

As the name suggests, it has exactly one purpose. It blocks Google Analytics entirely. There are other ways to do this, but most of them will break some sites out there. Your call.

Last Updated: February 12, 2014

In fact it has more chances to break your recent Firefox than sites. Especially when in 2017 FF will be multi-processed and most addons started refactoring their design already.

There are at least 3 API changes in Google Analytics I know of that Google changed since 2014. One of them is the change from now obsolete ga.js to analytics.js:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/

A more proper way in my opinion would be a uBlock Origin rule for all cross domain and 3d party requests to Google.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 14839 - BW: 46150 Mbit/sYour IP: 52.91.176.251Guest Access.