Not connected, Your IP: 18.226.166.214
SuperPieGuy

Extremely slow download & upload speeds when connected to VPN

Hello everyone, I purchased AirVPN recently to keep my torrent traffic private, and am just now getting around to putting it to use.  However, I'm getting some extremely slow speeds, or rather no speed at all.  I'm using the AirVPN client and letting it connect to a recommended server, but consistently get 0 B/s (Yes, that's B/s) download and upload.  It will occasionally jump to ~100 B/s, or even ~100 KB/s, but drops back to 0 B/s shortly after.  I also took the speed test on this website which gave the following results:

Down: 0.477 Mbit/s Out, 0.470 Mbit/s In (98%), 1MB - Up: 0.382 Mbit/s Out, 0.322 Mbit/s In (84%), 1MB - Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:28:09 GMT - Buffers: 1MB/1MB - Laps: 3, Time: 325.56 secs

Not quite 0 B/s like the AirVPN client says, but still unacceptably slow considering I get around 50-60 Mbits/s download and upload (Verizon) when not connected to the VPN.  I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to just about anything networking, and assume I messed something up when trying to configure the VPN with my torrent client (Deluge), so I'm just going to go into what exactly I've done so far and then maybe someone here can give me some guidance.  

First, I followed the P2P optimization guide found here: https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/  In the end, my settings look like this: http://i.imgur.com/SnGiGJ9.png  Which looks correct to me, for whats its worth.

Second, I setup Windows firewall rules to block Deluge's connection in the event that the VPN unexpectedly disconnects, or I forget to turn it on or something.  I did so following this guide: https://vpn.ac/knowledgebase/55/Windows-Firewall-rules-to-block-P2PorTorrent-traffic-if-VPN-disconnects.html  I tested to make sure it works with the little speed I have and it does seem to work.  I'll get a few KB/s while connected to the VPN, and it will stop or start back up when I disconnect and reconnect to the VPN respectively.

Aside from those two things, I've done nothing else, and don't even know if there is still more I need to do aside from those two things.  I'm hoping the pros here can point me in the right direction because what I've tried to find out on my own so far has been fruitless.  

Thanks in advance!

"Hello!

Perhaps the rules you inserted for the firewall might prevent communications to the VPN servers if you have not adapted them to your network and to the virtual network. Can you please test with such rules disabled? You might like to activate Network Lock instead, a feature of Air client which uses Windows Firewall to prevent leaks.

Kind regards"

I disabled all the firewalls I created and tried running the VPN both with Network Lock off and on, and unfortunately I'm getting the same slow speeds as before.  Although I will probably continue to use the Network Lock feature instead of the firewalls I setup.  

Maybe you will find some valuable information about that in topic Issues with torrents.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Maybe you will find some valuable information about that in topic Issues with torrents.

Tried connecting to some of the SSH ports and got much better results.  In fact, I tried it again using the automatic setting and got the same much better results.  I think it might have been the firewalls I setup previously and I didn't adequately test when I turned them off and tried the Network Lock feature, or maybe I got a bad torrent in my haste.  Whoops.  But it seems all it well now, and if somethings goes wrong down the road, I'll probably be back.

Thanks a ton for the help guys.