Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.113.197
Sign in to follow this  
GoXRUTD7k8FfZp5jmvNK4uE6

Comodo Firewall (Internet Security) version 5 vs 6? Links.

I recently downloaded Comodo's firewall as it is the only recommended firewall for Windows by AirVPN. I tried manipulating the rules to use them with Eset Smart Security 6 but it seems too complex to translate. Also I found some external post stating it may not even be possible to configure Eset in this way. The help file didn't seem in-depth enough and search results didn't find many people asking or succeeding at stopping DNS/IP leaks from VPN drops.

After downloading the latest version from http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ I found myself wondering why some of the screenshots I've seen floating around didn't look anything like the current version 6 I had installed. This is because version 6 has only been released and most screenshots are of 5.

It's generally recommended to use the latest version of anything but in this case, the user interface has put me off enough to decide to downgrade to version 5: http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/history/

The change log from the last version 5 build to the latest version 6 currently:

[b]v6.0.260739[/b]
- NEW! Completely redesigned touch friendly and task oriented user interface.
- NEW! Desktop Widget
- NEW! Tasks Manager
- NEW! Customizable Task Bar
- NEW! Drag&Drop area to Sandbox and Scan Files
- NEW! Sound effects are used in alert windows to draw users' attention
- NEW! Offline virus database update functionality (Import Virus Database feature)
- NEW! File Rating Scan functionality
- NEW! Rescue Disk feature
- NEW! Virtual shortcuts
- NEW! Shared Space between real and virtualized environments
- NEW! Reboot reminder alerts in multiple places
- NEW! Diagnostics being able to download missing files from the Internet
- NEW! Keyboard shortcuts support
- NEW! The following set of products is now part of CIS:
> COMODO Autorun Analyzer
> COMODO Cleaning Essentials
> Virtual Kiosk
> COMODO KillSwitch
- IMPROVED! Dramatically improved sandbox and virtualization.
- IMPROVED! Lightest and fastest CIS so far!

[b]v6.0.264710[/b]
# Improved:
* Compatibility between some programs and sandbox/kiosk
* Additional languages are now supported
# Fixed:
* Virtual Keyboard can be intercepted by certain key loggers
* Advanced Settings Editor sometimes hangs
* BSOD or Black Screen on Windows 8
* Flash player plugin is erroneously auto-sandboxed
* MSN Messenger can’t start IE if IE is configured to run in sandbox
* CIS can’t run GB on Windows 8
* Web Browsers cant connect to the Internet when running in SandboxIE
* Files cannot be moved from unrecognized files to trusted files
* Realtime scanner doesn’t scan certain archives
* Cancel button sometimes does’t not function in manage exceptions dialog
* Incompatibility with Wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch graphics tablet driver
* 'system' process is missing in running processes list
* Java won't start if Firefox, Palemoon, Dragon is running Sandboxed
* Comodo Firewall doesn't intercept HTTP packets for browser when installed Avast Free Antivirus

As you can see, none of the new features or changes so far seem to warrant the upgrade that is bundled with the new touch friendly (/sigh) interface which is rather clunky. Sandbox, desktop widget, task manager, heart-attack-inducing sound effect and shared space are all gimmicks to me that I won't use or already have software for.

I'm assuming version 5 is a solid firewall (it looks mouse friendly at least!) having been developed for 2 years and the fact you can configure the same rules in version 5 to use with AirVPN, I don't see any reason not to use it...

Am I missing something, or would you say it's safe to downgrade to version 5, possibly skipping all of 6 and seeing what 7 has to offer a year or two from now? I'm using Win 8 and the last change log for the latest v5 has improvements for Win 8 support. It's unlikely version 5 will receive any updates from now on so the state of compatibility with Win 8 won't change, correct?

I realize this is not a Comodo support forum, just perhaps someone has something to share on the matter.

Thank you

Downgrading seems to be limited to those that run Windows 7 or below as the installer says "This installation does not support target platform.".

If you choose to downgrade; the FileHippo old version link v5.8.211697 or above will actually download the latest version 6 (they're all 125MB even though they state smaller sizes). To get the last version 5 from FileHippo you need to download v5.5.195786 (and obviously not upgrading after installation when it gives you the option).

Looks like I'm stuck with version 6 for Windows 8 64-bit. Too bad

I just upgraded to Internet Security 2013 pro and it's awesome! Don't know what wouldn't be great about it? The Interface looks good and all the settings are just as before if you search a bit, you'll find them all. Think it's worth the little price too since comodo offers such a good product

The interface does look nice, but it seems to waste a lot of space and some options are more buried than they should be such as Advanced Settings. Coming from Eset where everything is quite compact it seems like I'd prefer version 5 as it wasn't trying to accommodate people's fingers as well as not including features I wouldn't use. The less evidence I see of touch interface design on my Win 8 PC the better!

Having said that, I'm glad I just figured that you can sort and replace the buttons on Comodo Firewall's Task Bar, that's much better.

For a free firewall, I'm impressed. Mainly because none of the extras such as GeekBuddy and Dragon are forced upon you and you can also disable the Message Center adverts. I'd consider upgrading to Internet Security 2013 but my Eset NOD32 antivirus subscription runs out many months from now!

It's not so bad after all

I would upgrade anyway. The Antivirus feature of Comodo can easily be disabled too. Running 2 or more anti-virus programs isn't a problem usually anyway. Gonna make the system more secure if anything. At least I don't know of any compatibility issues between anti-virus software. It's when you got more than 1 firewall that it might be problematic... I only had to pay 13$ for the upgrade

What reason is there to upgrade then disable the antivirus for example? Sounds like a waste of money when I've got a working firewall and a working antivirus. Is there more to what you get when you upgrade? I don't know. Maybe a system would be that slight bit more secure with two active scanners enabled but at the cost of the resources it'll take up against the few percent added security (when both these scanners are likely in the 95% and above overall success rate), again not worth it in my opinion. Much better to have a great AV then a couple backup on-demand malware scanners too (Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro in my case). NOD32 hasn't let me down in many years. It'll be a hard task to convince me to switch it out for something else Kaspersky AV looked like a good alternative but too heavyweight on system resources as well as higher false positives than Eset. When I briefly last looked, the statistics of independent research sites I found didn't include Comodo's antivirus