Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.155.88
Sign in to follow this  
bubbba

Speed Issues

Hello,

I signed up for 1 month so that I could test the service. I was happy to find a VPN that didn't keep logs since privacy is very important. Currently I use a service that provides PPTP and L2TP/IPSec and although my speeds are reduced by as much as 50%, I can live with that. When I connect using the OpenVPN to ANY of the AirVPN servers my speed is reduced by 98% or more. In most cases I can do better with a dialup connection. Here are my specs:

Windows XP Pro sp3

Checkpoint Zone Alarm Antivirus + Firewall (Free) v11.0

OpenVPN 2.3.0 i686-w64-mingw32

Netgear n600 model WNDR3400

If you require more information please let me know.

I have tried different servers and different ports with the same result, a VERY slow connection.

Best Regards...

Seems a bit strange. Maybe your provider is really bad or you live somewhere in the desert with a huge distance to any datacenter that contains the vpn servers?

TCP is generally slower.

I'd check your packet loss too and check at different times of the day. Maybe your provider is overselling bandwidth and slowing down speeds on certain ports...

Seems a bit strange. Maybe your provider is really bad or you live somewhere in the desert with a huge distance to any datacenter that contains the vpn servers?

TCP is generally slower.

I'd check your packet loss too and check at different times of the day. Maybe your provider is overselling bandwidth and slowing down speeds on certain ports...

There is no packet loss, that I already checked. Not sure what is happening. My best guess at this point is that my processor just can't handle OpenVPN's encryption. I am in the process of replacing this old desktop so if that is the issue it certainly will be solved. I appreciate your reply. Although, one can never rule out their ISP throttling connection but I don't feel that's the case either. I get most of my bandwidth when using PPTP (24mbits/s).