Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.130.136
3vbdo9z4d3TD

Port forwarding the same port with TCP and UDP?

I am fiddling around learning about port forwarding. I want to setup a Call of Duty dedicated server over AirVPN. I was able to setup a Call of Duty dedicated server without a VPN by port forwarding the same port number in the TCP and UDP protocol.

Call of Duty dedicated server by themselves required you to port forward 28960 (TCP) and 28960 (UDP). You can change the port number with the net_port flag. When you change the port with the net_port flag, it will change both the required TCP and UDP. So when you set net_port flag to 30000, it will then listen on 30000 (TCP) and 30000 (UDP). There is not way to set the TCP port to be a different number than the UDP port.

I was able to port forward my Call of Duty dedicated server over my real IP address and port forward the port number I set it to (30000) in my router. But once I enable AirVPN and change the net_port flag to a port number I had available in AirVPN, the server will not port forward and won't work over AirVPN.

I even made sure the port protocol is set to TCP + UDP and that the port is enabled.

What am I doing wrong, has anyone ever setup a COD server over AirVPN?

How would one check if CoD is listening on a VPN interface on Windows? Wouldn't apps and services by default always go through the VPN (Eddie client) as long the VPN is on?

On 11/22/2023 at 3:39 AM, 3vbdo9z4d3TD said:

How would one check if CoD is listening on a VPN interface on Windows?

1. In Task Manager, check the PID of the CoD dedicated server executable.
  2. In a PowerShell, use netstat -ano|select-string <PID>|select-string "LISTENING".
  3. If the remote address is a specific IP address, it's bound to an interface. If it's 0.0.0.0 or *, it's listening on all interfaces.
On 11/22/2023 at 3:39 AM, 3vbdo9z4d3TD said:

Wouldn't apps and services by default always go through the VPN (Eddie client) as long the VPN is on?

If an application binds to a specific interface, then the routes of that interface are honored, otherwise you're right.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

This command does not return anything in powershell when I set the PID to the PID of the COD server...

netstat -ano|select-string 9148|select-string "LISTENING"

However when I use netstat -a -o -n I get a list of things and I do see this one line in the list...

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State           PID
UDP    0.0.0.0:18879          *:*                                    9148

This is the COD server, the state is blank and is not listening and there should be a TCP protocol listening as well.

It is also the same results when I disable my VPN and port forward the ports needed for the game in my router.

Edited ... by 3vbdo9z4d3TD

18 hours ago, 3vbdo9z4d3TD said:

This command does not return anything in powershell when I set the PID to the PID of the COD server...

netstat -ano|select-string 9148|select-string "LISTENING"

Yeah, -p was missing. Sorry :)

18 hours ago, 3vbdo9z4d3TD said:

This is the COD server, the state is blank and is not listening and there should be a TCP protocol listening as well.

It is also the same results when I disable my VPN and port forward the ports needed for the game in my router.

It appears to be listening on all interfaces on UDP port 18879, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to connect to it.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.