Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.234.62
Terry Stanford

Does DNS affect website blocks?

These days I am getting so many blocks when using VPN, my family are getting pretty sick of it. Wife trying to do grocery shopping etc online and constantly gets captchas or outright blocks. It's a right royal pain in the ass. 

I don't know a huge amount about the technical stuff, but wondered if using different DNS servers than the VPN provided ones might help? Is that a silly idea? If so I won't bother trying!

I hope to return to AirVPN. Is there any chance staff would consider a 10 device plan? Most of my family don't use the web much, I do and I have 3 or 4 devices of my own, leaving not enough for it to be a family purchase. A ten device limit plan would be great. 

Oh one question - can I use Mac Wireguard app with Air WG servers?

thanks

Open a ticket and check with Sales re a 10-device plan.

Yes, the Air wg configs from their Config Generator work fine in the MacOS wireguard app.

Not sure re your DNS/captcha question. I can't see how it would help but don't know that it wouldn't. I use alternative DNS servers and still get captchas and blocks, but whether I see more or fewer of these than I would using Air DNS, I have no idea. (Aside: I set mine up long before Air offered the super DNS customizations that they do now and am too lazy and risk averse to try changing back and maybe flattening the house of cards I have set up.)

hahaha, thanks!

What do you mean by "super DNS customizations" offered by AirVPN? I understand just the basics, that DNS is just a way of looking up domains and matching them to IP addresses. I know nothing more than that. Not sure how you can customize that process, but sounds like you can so I am Prince Charles. (All ears). :D

Do you get a lot of blocks/captchas? I find I get loads thsese days. An example is https://10minutemail.com/ - these cloudflare protected sites seem to be a constant pain in the rectum for me (and I'm not that way inclined, to enjoy pain in the rectum)

Log into the Air website, visit the Client Area, and look for a DNS section. That's where you can set up DNS details for your whole account. You can override it for specific devices in the VPN Devices section if so inclined.