Not connected, Your IP: 3.12.161.77
Gabi

Ivacy and PureVPN - More than just good friends?

Hello,

I was in exchange with a friend who claimed that Ivacy and PureVPN are owned by the same company or share at least the same server infrastructure. He also mentioned that a large share of their servers aren't located where they claim they are.

I tried to investigate into this matter. I'm however not sure if I did a good job. Maybe someone who knows more about VPNs and how they function could tell me if I'm right with my take on this.

I used the following resources:
https://support.ivacy.com/servers-list/
https://ping.pe/
https://ipinfo.io/

So, I will just start with Mumbai, India (in2-auto-tcp.dns2use.com)

Query: ping in2-auto-tcp.dns2use.com, interval: 5s, dense mode: no

Probing 149.34.253.70 – ARIN /24 AS212238 CDNEXT – Singapore
The ping test confirms this entry. Lowest ping comes from:
Singapore     Digital Ocean     0%     36     2.3     2.94     2.28     12.24     1.78

I'm pretty sure that Mumbai is not located in Singapore. Now I copy&paste 149.34.253.70 into ipinfo.

service:"PureVPN",

I continued with Nigeria.

Query: ping ng2-auto-tcp.dns2use.com, interval: 5s, dense mode: no
Probing 172.111.128.228 – ARIN /24 AS9009 M247 – Nigeria, Lagos, Lagos
Looks legit. The ping test however shows something else.
Netherlands, Amsterdam     Online.net     0%     18     2.28     5.59     2.26     10.17     2.21

Checking the IP confirms it. Again, Lagos is not located in the Netherlands. The service entry also shows PureVPN.

I did continue this game. The Afghanistan server is located in Frankfurt, registered to PureVPN. Server Algeria is located in Frankfurt, too. Also assigned to PureVPN. I could continue like this all day.

Now my question:
Am I doing something wrong? If I for example use the server list of Mullvad, all servers are where they are claimed to be. They are all registered with "Mullvad" under the service entry.

First of all, it is fishy if a service claims to be the "best VPN" but promoting servers in 60+ countries, it is a lie according to my definition.

What is your opinion on that matter?

You are mistaking and confusing IP FLAG LOCATION AT RIR (regional internet registry, or the body regulating the consensus about which IP is whos) and the real geo-location / physical location of a host using a certain IP address.

172.111.128.228 in some data bases shows Seychelles ;)) anyway, it's AS9009 - M247 Europe which has many datacenters in different geo-locations. I am not aware if any in Nigeria anyway. But some companies provide a service such "registering the IP addresses in the customer's name", so they still remain in their AS number but add a remark at the RIR so when someone WHOIS those IP addresses a different country/geo-location appears. However, some IP2Location databases accept this, some do not, some assign the country flag of the organization that OWNS the resource.

PureVPN and Ivacy are owned by the same people correct. Same locations, same apps, same features. However that isn’t uncommon within VPN industries. I used Ivacy before Air from an $18 lifetime deal on stacksocial, is it fast? Sure however has no malware or ad blocking, shoddy security and I wouldn’t trust the no logs claim after PureVPNs past.