Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.152.251
f7b0b0ca

ANSWERED Unable to Escalate Privileges error

Posted ... (edited)

I apologize if this has been answered before, I've seen a few threads with similar issues but for different setups and haven't been able to resolve the issue.

The full error is: Unable to escalate privileges (required): ApplicationName='pkexec', Command line='"/usr/lib/eddie-ui/eddie-cli-escilated" mode=spot spot_port=[port] service_port=[port]', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Cannot find the specified file.

I'm on a new installation of Debian Bookworm using Eddie version 2.21.8. I've tried rebooting, reinstalling, launching from the desktop environment, launching from the terminal without privileges, launched from the terminal with Sudo, and launching from the terminal as root.

I'm pretty much out of ideas here, and would really like to get it working. I didn't have any issues in Bullseye, not sure if it'd be that or something else.

Thanks

Edited ... by f7b0b0ca
typo

Please open a terminal and report the output of commands:

which pkexec
and
ls -ls /usr/lib/eddie-ui/*

thanks

user@debian:~$ which pkexec
user@debian:~$ ls -ls /usr/lib/eddie-ui/*
352 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  359960 May 26  2022 /usr/lib/eddie-ui/eddie-cli-elevated
 64 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   62184 May 26  2022 /usr/lib/eddie-ui/eddie-tray
 64 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   64000 May 26  2022 /usr/lib/eddie-ui/eddie-ui.exe
328 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  333824 May 26  2022 /usr/lib/eddie-ui/Lib.Core.dll
1844 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1884672 May 26  2022 /usr/lib/eddie-ui/Lib.Forms.dll
104 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  105472 May 26  2022 /usr/lib/eddie-ui/Lib.Forms.Skin.dll
 16 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   14352 May 26  2022 /usr/lib/eddie-ui/libLib.Platform.Linux.Native.so
 56 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   54272 May 26  2022 /usr/lib/eddie-ui/Lib.Platform.Linux.dll

This is the first time i see a linux without pkexec . Maybe exists and you don't have the access? please report

sudo which pkexec
and, in general, if you can gain the root (if your user is in sudo-ers) with

sudo -s

thanks

Can confirm pkexec wasn't on my system. It's a pretty new Debian install so unless they don't install it by default I'm unsure why it wouldn't be there (though definitely can't rule out me messing it up somehow).

Wasn't previously aware of what pkexec was, but reading the wiki page on it I can see why it was probably needed. Installed it from the Debian repo it and Eddie is working.

Thanks!

Just wanted to chime in and say that my Debian system didn't have pkexec either and after searching this same error because of it, the issue was resolved by installing it. Perhaps a check for dependencies should be added to the install script?