Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.121.55
grewk

VPB for qbittorrent and sonarr on a NAS (beginner question)

Hi
I have some questions about setting up a vpn for a nas running jackett and sonarr sending to qbittorrent. From what I understand only qbittorrent will need to go through a VPN, is this correct? How would I set that up and check for leaks? I've only used Eddie before. What would be the most secure and optimal way to set this up?

I also have a question about being constantly connected to a VPN using torrents. Here's my understanding:

Let's say it's the year 2050 and Jon Bon Jovi is president and he's really tired of people downloading his albums online. A Dr Hercules MD is tired of his silent commute to work and want to listen to some music. He owns all Bon Jovi records on vinyl but can only play CDs in his car. The doctor connects to a VPN and snatches one of the albums he owns on vinlyl, burns it on a CD, disconnects the vpn and drives to work bopping his head. Meanwhile at the white house the "red telephone" rings and president Jon Bon Jovi is informed of an IP address that just broke the law. The president calls air vpn and demands to know who is behind the ip. -"No one is at the moment", is the answer. He demands the logs. -"Sorry prez, we don't save logs". The presidents efforts are thwarted and Dr Hercules remains a free man.
Alternate ending:
Dr Hercules feel responsible to seed for at least 24h and goes to work still connected to the vpn. Persident Jovi calls air vpn to demand the ip address behind the one doing the torrenting and they have no choice but to comply. Dr Hercules MD is arrested and immediately sent to super jail for about a million years.

Is this understanding correct? If so: is there a way to automatically connect to a different server on a timer?Let's say once a day it connects to a different server and thus gets a new ip. What is the point of using a vpn on the router for example if this is the case?

Any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated! Of course I'm just curious about these hypothetical things and have absolutely no intention of actually going about setting something like this up.

Cheers

11 hours ago, grewk said:

How would I set that up and check for leaks? I've only used Eddie before. What would be the most secure and optimal way to set this up?

If you can use Docker on the NAS:Gluetun supports AirVPN, it seems:Without Docker, something like this is an option:
https://github.com/tool-maker/VPN_just_for_torrents/wiki/Running-OpenVPN-on-Linux-without-VPN-as-Default-Gateway

Meanwhile at the white house the "red telephone" rings and president Jon Bon Jovi is informed of an IP address that just broke the law. The president calls air vpn and demands to know who is behind the ip. -"No one is at the moment", is the answer. He demands the logs. -"Sorry prez, we don't save logs". The presidents efforts are thwarted and Dr Hercules remains a free man.

That's quite the 1986 society you're painting, totally unrealistic in constitutional democracies. Even sharing with your family is okay, otherwise every buyer of a DVD will commit copyright infringement when watching this with his/her family. The "red telephone" will simply not ring in your described case. I think this principle is called "Fair Use" in the U.S.

Dr Hercules feel responsible to seed for at least 24h and goes to work still connected to the vpn. Persident Jovi calls air vpn to demand the ip address behind the one doing the torrenting and they have no choice but to comply. Dr Hercules MD is arrested and immediately sent to super jail for about a million years.

Now this is a little different. Hercules knows he is going farther than Fair Use, so it is an infringement. But even then Jovi doesn't get a call, unless Hercules is an admin of a site making such sharing possible on a global scale and it really hurts the market. Even in the case that he accidentally seeded with his ISP IP address, most people get fined first. It's when you don't pay, or repeat this not twice or thrice but constantly, do you have to fear repercussions.
Also, this assumption about "they have no choice but to comply" – everybody has a choice in a consitutional state.

Is this understanding correct? If so: is there a way to automatically connect to a different server on a timer?Let's say once a day it connects to a different server and thus gets a new ip. What is the point of using a vpn on the router for example if this is the case?

There are as many ways as there are scripting languages, and more. For OpenVPN (on Linux), sending a SIGHUP signal (code 1, as in kill -1 openvpn) will reconnect you. This can be added as a cronjob, a systemd timer, etc. Unsure about Wireguard, though.

People using this on routers have a different use case: The local home network should go over VPN. It's different from "a single machine should seed torrents".

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to help out!

This might get into more of a NAS question than VPN but is Docker like one big VM where the containers live of is each container an isolated cell? I guess what I'm asking is: If I install Gluetun through docker would it direct all traffic from docker through the vpn? Or does it direct all traffic from the NAS through the VPN?

[EDIT]
I found this video that kind of explains the use of Gluetun in docker:
www dot youtube.com/watch?v=xbSfaKwyfXE
[EDIT]

Regarding my little story - let me adjust it to try and make it a little clearer:
If Hercules is using a VPN and is connected to the same server for 3 years and does a bunch of illegal downloading so people want to find out who is behind the IP they would in theory be able to figure that out because he is still connected, right?
If Hercules does the same thing over the same period of time but instead connects to a different server each day, his identity would be safe because whatever IP "they" would want to find the user behind would no longer connect to Hercules.

Thanks for your answer, I'll look into the links you posted.

Cheers!

Edited ... by grewk
Found a answer for the question I asked

If so: is there a way to automatically connect to a different server on a timer?
Since AirVPN offers per-country domains like 'nl.vpn.airdns.org' meaning if you get your VPN client to restart the connection, under the assumption it will resolve the domain again, it will connect to a different server pointed to by AirVPN. The one with least usage. But I don't recommend to change servers daily because Bittorrent does better when your IP does not change (your peers remember it for some time and will try to connect next time they come online).
I suggest you to look into docker containers too or Wireguard with namespaces. In either case the client should still be configured to bind to the VPN interface, discriminated by its name, to avoid mishaps.
To avoid presidential questions I suggest you to connect to a server that's outside of your legislation of residence. I already provided one good country in my post. Of course I assume it is legal where you live and you just want more privacy.

On 5/30/2023 at 8:30 PM, grewk said:

If Hercules is using a VPN and is connected to the same server for 3 years and does a bunch of illegal downloading so people want to find out who is behind the IP they would in theory be able to figure that out because he is still connected, right?

Again, in a constitutional state pointing fingers without hard evidence is void. There is no direct, obvious link between the connection and your identity.

On 5/30/2023 at 8:30 PM, grewk said:

If Hercules does the same thing over the same period of time but instead connects to a different server each day, his identity would be safe because whatever IP "they" would want to find the user behind would no longer connect to Hercules.

His ID will be fine even with three years of connection time – as written, there is no direct, obvious link between a connection and his ID.

It's also as Mr. Stalinium writes: The recommendation goes against wildly changing servers when it comes to BitTorrent. A different country from your own is certainly a good idea in that regard.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.