Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.239.110
Sign in to follow this  
nicolasbrown

No longer possible to manually edit Eddie profile

Since the recent upgrades in versions, it is not possible anymore to manually edit the Eddie configuration file, even if "Plain (no password asked)" mode is selected when saving it.
The reason is that the configuration data (which is actually XML) is always encrypted (with a hardcoded password, if none is set): https://github.com/AirVPN/Eddie/blob/de5c1ebb91030dc654a4cd3de81bfa8225982400/src/Lib.Core/Storage.cs#L153

This makes it extremely tedious to edit anything in the file manually, even if doing so was sensible. All information to do it is still available (including the password), so this isn't really a security issue, but one would need to implement the custom encryption/decryption algorithm of Eddie (source is available for that)...

In my case, my reason for wanting to edit the file manually was that I have several dozen IP CIDR routes I want to add, but it is not reasonable to do it on configuration UI where I would manually need to click/type repeatedly hundreds of times (click "Plus", paste CIDR, click "Notes", paste comment, click "Save", repeat), it is horrible UX to do it that way for more than a 1-2 entries.
When I already have the exact routes I want to add already in a text/bulk format, if I edited the XML configuration I would've achieved what I wanted in a few seconds, and I used to be able to do this before I upgraded.

I would expect one of these things for usability:

1. A way to export/import the configuration in a _truly_ plain text format from Eddie, where it can be edited by a human
  2. Or some tool that can "decrypt" the "Plain (no password asked)" format to actual plain text
  3. Or a way on the UI to add routes in a bulk-ish way so it isn't excruciating to do it for many entries en-masse (this would only solve my specific case but not the overall issue though)

Ok, I ended up solving this myself with option 2), I made a script that "decrypts" and "encrypts" the file on demand so it can be edited manually. For it to work, the encyption/password in Eddie must be set to "Plain (no password asked)" (at least temporarily, after writing it back to the source, password protection can be turned back on).

In case anybody else ever needs it, I attached the script (you need python and pycryptodome preinstalled).

python eddie_profile.py decrypt --help
python eddie_profile.py decrypt --outfile Eddie.xml

# edit the XML, then make sure Eddie is not running before doing

python eddie_profile.py encrypt --help
python eddie_profile.py encrypt --infile Eddie.xml

eddie_profile.py.txt