Not connected, Your IP: 107.21.176.63
lucidbarrier

ANSWERED Problem with Eddie auto-starting at cold boot

When I first cold boot my computer, I will get the splash for Eddie that says "Connect with daemon for system privileges" with no UAC popup and it will just stay there. When I open up Task Manager, I notice that OpenVPN Daemon is already running. When I looking at running services, I notice that EddieElevationService is there but the status is Stopped. So when I go to system Services, I see there is an Eddie Elevation Service that is set to Automatic but it's not running. I have tried setting it to manual as well. In order to get Eddie to actually connect I need to start the EddieElevationService and kill OpenVPN Daemon to get the UAC popup asking for Eddie to be able to make system changes. Then it will attempt to connect. When it gets to Checking route IPv6 sometimes it just doesn't connect or sticks on that screen and connects without updating the status. Either way, it takes a really long time. If I reboot windows, the system boots normally and Eddie connects without prompting me almost instantly. A reboot always cures whatever problem Eddie is having and I notice that upon reboot that OpenVPN is not running in Task Manager until Eddie commands it to.

I have tried different versions of Eddie, I've tried wiping Eddie completely off my system along with the profile but just cannot seem to get it to work correctly on this computer. It seems like a hassle to do all this just to get Eddie to work. I've attached some pictures in the sequence I have described. Sometimes Eddie will lock up my computer for a few seconds if I kill OpenVPN daemon without starting the EddieElevationService. Sometimes there are multiple instances of EddieElevationService running on reboot. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Computer
i7-4790 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM / 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD / Windows 10 (updated)
Eddie: 2.21.8 using WinTUN and set to install service and not for UAC approval every time

eddie problems 4.jpg

eddie problems 5.jpg

eddie problems 2.jpg

eddie problems 3.jpg

eddie problems 6.jpg

eddie problems 7.jpg

eddie problems 8.jpg

eddie problems 1.jpg

Can confirm I have similar issues when starting from cold boot.

Often times OpenVPN is already running so I kill the process and restart Eddie, it's been happening for a few years now, no idea what may be causing it.

Probably because of Fast Startup. I recommend disabling it.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:10 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

Probably because of Fast Startup. I recommend disabling it.

That seems to have fixed the issue on this problem computer. I'm going to go disable Fast Startup on my other computers as well. I have SSDs, it doesn't seem to matter whether it's on or not. Thanks!

One thing I have noticed is that I have high latency upon initial connection of the last used server upon cold boot using 2.21.8. I updated to 2.22.2 experimental and it seems to be working a lot better.