Not connected, Your IP: 3.12.71.237
htpc

Is my IP still hidden when I turn of encryption (cipher none)?

This is probably common knowledge for most but I still couldn't find a reliable source to verify this. Let's assume I'm not worried about somebody being able to intercept/read the contents of my traffic but only the fact that my identity (IP) cannot be detected. Now, if I turn cipher off completely (none) would I still be protected in that regard? 

And as a follow-up question will AirVPN allow me to set cipher to none on the client side without overriding it from the server side? 

Background: I do have some low powered devices and want to allow them maximum throughput without sacrificing to give up my identity. What is going through those packets though I'm not worried about, it's not really confidential. 

I hope my question makes sense and thank you for your support in advance :)

Hi,

With this configuration, your traffic would still be rerouted through an AirVPN server. However, AirVPN does NOT allow this for privacy reasons, and also to avoid misconfiguration.

If your device is a desktop or laptop, try AES-128-CBC. Most x86 CPUs have got the AES-NI instruction set to make encryption hardware-accelerated.
If it's got an Arm CPU (smartphone/tablet), try CHACHA20-POLY1305.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clearing this up nick75!

Confirmed what I was thinking. I will try other ciphers as suggested.