Not connected, Your IP: 34.201.28.181
lostagain

Linux Distro Concerns

I just had a quick question for some of the Linux gurus out there.

I've been using Linux Ubuntu and various flavors almost since I first subscribed to AirVPN and was curious if anyone has any warnings, suggestions or advice regarding the state of security with Ubunu, Lubuntu, and even Linux Mint. I'm logging in using mostly Lubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04.5 LTS and since I boot off of flash drive I use the latest available updates when I restart along with Eddie 2.21.8 I know that's no guarantee with such an old distro which is why I'm posting this thread. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Bionic will be given maintenance updates until April 2023. This includes introducing security patches – it's an LTS release, after all. I'd say, you're good for the next six months, but you should definitely consider upgrading to 20.04 Focal Fossa at least. Do it now, otherwise you may be forced to do so when it's less convenient. Ubuntu offers the do-release-upgrade script for that.

My personal recommendation would be to always use the latest available package versions. But if you're running a distribution with a fixed cycle such as Ubuntu, I'd always update to the newest release of that distribution, which would be 22.10 right now, and also keep packages upgraded on a schedule.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.